Feb 1, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The Spurs have signed Shannon Brown to a 10-day contract, a move announced on Saturday via official release. The team also released Othyus Jeffers, whom they had previously called up from the D-League on a 10-day contract following the injury to Kawhi Leonard.
Brown played well for the Phoenix Suns over the last two seasons, and averaged 10.7 points and 2.6 rebounds in 23.7 minutes per contest. He clashed with interim head coach Lindsey Hunter near the end of last year over a lack of playing time, but mostly over a lack of communication regarding his status.
The Suns traded Brown in the deal that sent Marcin Gortat to the Wizards before the season began. He never played a game for Washington, however, and was waived as soon as the trade was finalized.
Brown will infuse a nice dose of athleticism into a Spurs team that (seemingly always) desperately needs it. San Antonio will be looking for consistent minutes from Brown, potentially in a starter’s role, while Leonard is out for another few weeks with a fractured hand injury.
San Antonio has lost three straight, and despite the fact that they sit at second place with a 33-13 record in the Western Conference standings, the team has legitimate concerns because it has yet to register a single win against any of the league’s elite.
This is likely just a short-term fix for the Spurs until Leonard gets back, although should Brown make an impact on both ends of the floor, it’s possible he could stick as an improvement to the roster.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 20
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 24
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8