Feb 1, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
We told you a couple days ago the Pelicans wanted to bring in Luke Babbitt for the rest of the season, but there was one big hurdle in the way — agreeing to a buyout with his Russian team.
That hurdle has been cleared.
Former Portland Trail Blazers forward Luke Babbitt and the New Orleans Pelicans have reached an agreement on a two-year deal, a league source informed CSNNW.com….
However, (Babbitt’s Russian team) BC Nizhny Novgorod wasn’t facilitating that move having issued a statement saying that they will not sign his absentee letter, disallowing him to sign with any other team. The two sides reached a buyout yesterday and Babbitt is expected to report to New Orleans on Tuesday.
You can be sure this is a minimum contract and the second year of that deal is a team option. Also, terms of the buyout from Russia are not yet public, but NBA teams are limited to spending $500,000 on such buyouts.
New Orleans would like to have another stretch four off the bench with Ryan Anderson out indefinitely due to a back injury. Babbitt is going to get a chance to help fill that role. We’ll see how that goes.
Babbitt was drafted No. 16 overall by the Timberwolves then was traded on draft night to Portland (the Martell Webster deal). Babbitt is a tweener (6’9”) forward who shot better as a four (career 36.7 percent from three) but was a defensive liability. So much so that a series of coaches never found a regular rotation spot for him.
Babbitt played out the three years of his rookie deal in Portland but was not retained by that team and couldn’t latch on with another so it was off to Russia. Now he’s back and will try to prove he should stick in the NBA.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 44
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59