Feb 1, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
We told you a couple days ago the Pelicans wanted to bring in Luke Babbitt for the rest of the season, but there was one big hurdle in the way — agreeing to a buyout with his Russian team.
That hurdle has been cleared.
Former Portland Trail Blazers forward Luke Babbitt and the New Orleans Pelicans have reached an agreement on a two-year deal, a league source informed CSNNW.com….
However, (Babbitt’s Russian team) BC Nizhny Novgorod wasn’t facilitating that move having issued a statement saying that they will not sign his absentee letter, disallowing him to sign with any other team. The two sides reached a buyout yesterday and Babbitt is expected to report to New Orleans on Tuesday.
You can be sure this is a minimum contract and the second year of that deal is a team option. Also, terms of the buyout from Russia are not yet public, but NBA teams are limited to spending $500,000 on such buyouts.
New Orleans would like to have another stretch four off the bench with Ryan Anderson out indefinitely due to a back injury. Babbitt is going to get a chance to help fill that role. We’ll see how that goes.
Babbitt was drafted No. 16 overall by the Timberwolves then was traded on draft night to Portland (the Martell Webster deal). Babbitt is a tweener (6’9”) forward who shot better as a four (career 36.7 percent from three) but was a defensive liability. So much so that a series of coaches never found a regular rotation spot for him.
Babbitt played out the three years of his rookie deal in Portland but was not retained by that team and couldn’t latch on with another so it was off to Russia. Now he’s back and will try to prove he should stick in the NBA.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15