Feb 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Kyle Lowry of the Raptors also belongs in that discussion, but Stephenson’s overall play this season with averages of 14.2 points, 7.1 rebounds and 5.7 assists on one of the league’s top teams had most feeling he had a legitimate shot at one of the reserve spots.
It didn’t shake out that way, and the ever-honest Stephenson had no trouble expressing his displeasure over being left out.
But there was still anger beneath the surface less than 24 hours after Stephenson’s learned NBA coaches did not vote him as a reserve to the Eastern Conference all-star team.
“I’m mad,” Stephenson said. “I feel like I had my breakout year last year. I showed I can play with anyone on the floor and I felt like this year, I brought a little bit more to my game.
“But other people saw it differently. I’m just going to keep working hard and prove everyone wrong.”
Stephenson would have been the third member of the Pacers to get in, joining Paul George (voted in as a starter) and Roy Hibbert (named as a reserve). That wouldn’t have been unprecedented for a team with such a strong start to the season, especially when you consider just how dreadful the level of play has been in the Eastern Conference.
Announcement: ProBasketballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 10
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15