Feb 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Kyle Lowry of the Raptors also belongs in that discussion, but Stephenson’s overall play this season with averages of 14.2 points, 7.1 rebounds and 5.7 assists on one of the league’s top teams had most feeling he had a legitimate shot at one of the reserve spots.
It didn’t shake out that way, and the ever-honest Stephenson had no trouble expressing his displeasure over being left out.
But there was still anger beneath the surface less than 24 hours after Stephenson’s learned NBA coaches did not vote him as a reserve to the Eastern Conference all-star team.
“I’m mad,” Stephenson said. “I feel like I had my breakout year last year. I showed I can play with anyone on the floor and I felt like this year, I brought a little bit more to my game.
“But other people saw it differently. I’m just going to keep working hard and prove everyone wrong.”
Stephenson would have been the third member of the Pacers to get in, joining Paul George (voted in as a starter) and Roy Hibbert (named as a reserve). That wouldn’t have been unprecedented for a team with such a strong start to the season, especially when you consider just how dreadful the level of play has been in the Eastern Conference.
Announcement: ProBasketballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Saturday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Saturday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 41
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30