Feb 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The Nets were one of the teams to hand the Thunder one of their 10 losses on the season, and even though Brooklyn has one of the league’s best marks since Jan. 1, Oklahoma City might be the best in the league period.
The Thunder showed it by waxing the Nets in Brooklyn on Friday by 25 points, and after leading by as many as 32, it wasn’t necessary for Kevin Durant to play at all in the fourth quarter.
As a result, his streak of scoring at least 30 points in 12 straight games came to an end — not that it matters to Durant in the grand scheme of things.
From the Associated Press:
“The streak was good while it lasted, but that’s the least of my concerns,” Durant said. “It’s easy for me to try to force it to keep the streak alive, but we needed this win because they beat us last time.” …
Durant came out with 1:15 left in the third quarter. Coach Scott Brooks didn’t bother asking the NBA’s leading scorer if he wanted to keep playing to extend the streak, saying he knew what the answer would be.
“If he cared about the streak, he should’ve never missed the two shots. That’s on him. Can’t blame it on me,” Brooks said.
That last part is a joke, obviously, as Brooks is referring to Durant’s two misses from the field on a night he went 10-of-12 and finished with 26 points and seven assists.
The streak ends with Durant having averaged 35.9 points per game in January during this run, one which saw him become the first player with at least 550 points and 90 assists in any month since Michael Jordan did it back in March of 1987, according to Elias Sports Bureau (via ESPN).
The Thunder have now won 10 in a row, and have the league’s best overall record at 38-10.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10