Feb 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Beal suffered a lower leg injury earlier this season which sidelined him for nine games. He’s been on a minutes restriction that was supposed to cap him out at no more than 30 per game, but received positive results from an MRI on Saturday that may allow that to increase.
Still, the three-point contest would be a time for him to get some extra rest, so he’ll need to essentially get the equivalent of a doctor’s note in order to participate.
Beal also told CSN he’d like to compete in the Three-Point Shootout at NBA All-Star Weekend, which is Feb. 14-16, but a decision has not been made. If he is given the green light that his leg is OK to handle the extra work, Beal said he will accept the offer.
Beal ranks 12th in the league in three-point shooting percentage, hitting 42.2 percent of his 173 attempts; he’s ranked 41st in the latter category at this point in the season.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 29
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 26
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9