Feb 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Beal suffered a lower leg injury earlier this season which sidelined him for nine games. He’s been on a minutes restriction that was supposed to cap him out at no more than 30 per game, but received positive results from an MRI on Saturday that may allow that to increase.
Still, the three-point contest would be a time for him to get some extra rest, so he’ll need to essentially get the equivalent of a doctor’s note in order to participate.
Beal also told CSN he’d like to compete in the Three-Point Shootout at NBA All-Star Weekend, which is Feb. 14-16, but a decision has not been made. If he is given the green light that his leg is OK to handle the extra work, Beal said he will accept the offer.
Beal ranks 12th in the league in three-point shooting percentage, hitting 42.2 percent of his 173 attempts; he’s ranked 41st in the latter category at this point in the season.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49