Steve Nash could be back on court for Lakers next Tuesday

Jan 31, 2014, 4:55 PM EST

Steve Nash AP

Steve Nash practiced on Thursday with no issues or setbacks, but will not suit up when the Lakers host the Charlotte Bobcats Friday night.

However next Tuesday he could return. So could Steve Blake.

That’s what Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said after shootaround on Friday.

While we’re talking Lakers injuries, Pau Gasol will play Friday.

Nash has played just six games this season, and has spent considerable time this season working with his personal trainer in Vancouver, in part to train himself to move differently, in ways that do not aggravate the nerve root issue that has been a problem since he broke his leg at the start of last season. He can go for stretches; the question is will the wear and tear of the NBA grind aggravate the injury again?

The Steves (as D’Antoni likes to call Blake and Nash) and Jordan Farmar are all set to return to the Lakers soon, providing some much-needed depth at guard. It will be interesting to see how D’Antoni deals with Kendall Marshall, who was picked up out of the D-League and has played well for the team in the past few weeks. Marshall has become a fan favorite.

1. calkinsrob - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:04 PM

best of luck Steve. Will always be my favorite player. I rank him 6 or 7th on all time PGs. Definitely one of the best shooters of all time. I hope he can end his career with a good stint of games here.

2. moseskkim - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM

annnd he got hurt while taking a shower. nash is a great competitor but his body is done. finished.

• ranfan12 - Feb 1, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Hey it can be hard to not get hurt taking a shower sometimes lol. One slip and it’s all over.

3. antistratfordian - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:14 PM

And on that day – not a single f— was given.

4. jammer73 - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Don’t bother. Just retire. The Lakers blow.

5. sicko123 - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:58 PM

OK? But he is still 40 Years Old!

• ranfan12 - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:15 PM

He’s only a couple of months older than fisher and finally turns 40 this month lol.

6. rainmaker1982 - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Retire already!

7. slate91 - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Reblogged this on The Daily Slate and commented:
    Is rather Have Fish on my team at the moment. Nash has had a better career stat wise over Fish but Derek has proved there consistent player as age progressed. Nash ain’t helping nobody at this point in his career. Lakers are a sad story even if Kobe returns. Go warriors !

• naterich21 - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Consistently mediocre.

38 year old Nash was twice the player Fisher could dream of

8. 00maltliquor - Jan 31, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Interestingly enough, I couldn’t be any less excited to have him back. It’s gonna be very, very interesting to see what D’Antoni does with his PG rotation when all 3 guys are back healthy to go along with Marshall. I’m willing to bet almost everything that not only does Marshall lose his starting job, but gets buried on the bench by the Steve’s. Sadly.

9. chiadam - Jan 31, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Tune in fast before he limps over to the bench and puts a towel over his head.

10. shuttaman1990 - Jan 31, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Fan favorite? His shooting motion sucks! Farmar or Blake or Nash!
    Make Marshall work on that motion it sucks playing with him at pg in 2k14!

• 00maltliquor - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:16 PM

It’s honestly not as bad as people make it out to be, and he makes ‘em when he’s left wide open. He knocks down 3s with regularity. Reminds me of Jason Kidd when he went from Ason to Jason and was able to finally knock down shots to become 3rd all-time in 3 point shots made.

• ranfan12 - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:45 PM

lmfao, you’re talking about the shooting form of a guy who’s career fg is 49%, 90% ft, and 42% ft. I’ll never take anything you say seriously ever again

• shuttaman1990 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Aye I’m just saying it throws off my entire game playing 2k14 with him. and he he doesn’t do jump shots from beyond the arc? WTF!

• ranfan12 - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:25 AM

lol my bad, i thought someone was talking bad about steve nash. misread that

a lot of people having trouble shooting with him though. i know what you mean

11. slate91 - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Nash was good when he was by himself at Phoenix running the show winning back to back MVP . Fish has been consistent in his role as a quality back up PG who can give u 20 minutes a game even at his age. Nash just got dealt with the wrong cards injury wise. I think Marshall is the PG of the future for the Lakers. When healthy the lLakers can be a 7 or 8 seed. Not a terrible team but a coaching change and reshuffle at positions are necessary. Steve Blake and Farmar are nothing more than garbage time guards, small time role players.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I think Marshall is the Lakers PG of the future too, but I’m willing to bet almost anything he’s not even on the team next year, and if he is, he’s a small minutes backup. But I disagree on the other PGs, particularly Farmar. I think he’s the PERFECT backup PG. Blake has even earned my respect this year too.

• slate91 - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Ok ok u have my respect for Farmar he does give quality minutes and if Nash comes back they are fine with Marshall as third option , I think Blake is just a spot up shooter nothing more, he can’t create his own plays. With those 4 guards u have different options it’s just hard to see everyone playing cuz Nash is getting the money and Marshall was D league not to long ago . It seems the NBA is not as forgiving as we thought . Players with lots of talent even can’t make it, example K Marshall. I hope he is somewhere next year starting or getting quality minutes.

12. fotydaze - Feb 1, 2014 at 1:51 AM

SO WHAT!!
    He’s done let’s move on!

13. mnsadsportsfan - Feb 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Great. Then he will leave late in the 2nd quarter and spend the rest of the game on the bench- Keep cashin those checks Steve!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches