Jan 31, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Steve Nash practiced on Thursday with no issues or setbacks, but will not suit up when the Lakers host the Charlotte Bobcats Friday night.
However next Tuesday he could return. So could Steve Blake.
That’s what Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said after shootaround on Friday.
D'Antoni says injured Lakers PGs had no setbacks after Thursday practice. Nash, Blake could both play Tuesday in Minnesota.—
Bill Oram (@bill_oram) January 31, 2014
While we’re talking Lakers injuries, Pau Gasol will play Friday.
Nash has played just six games this season, and has spent considerable time this season working with his personal trainer in Vancouver, in part to train himself to move differently, in ways that do not aggravate the nerve root issue that has been a problem since he broke his leg at the start of last season. He can go for stretches; the question is will the wear and tear of the NBA grind aggravate the injury again?
The Steves (as D’Antoni likes to call Blake and Nash) and Jordan Farmar are all set to return to the Lakers soon, providing some much-needed depth at guard. It will be interesting to see how D’Antoni deals with Kendall Marshall, who was picked up out of the D-League and has played well for the team in the past few weeks. Marshall has become a fan favorite.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18