Jan 31, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Steve Nash practiced on Thursday with no issues or setbacks, but will not suit up when the Lakers host the Charlotte Bobcats Friday night.
However next Tuesday he could return. So could Steve Blake.
That’s what Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said after shootaround on Friday.
While we’re talking Lakers injuries, Pau Gasol will play Friday.
Nash has played just six games this season, and has spent considerable time this season working with his personal trainer in Vancouver, in part to train himself to move differently, in ways that do not aggravate the nerve root issue that has been a problem since he broke his leg at the start of last season. He can go for stretches; the question is will the wear and tear of the NBA grind aggravate the injury again?
The Steves (as D’Antoni likes to call Blake and Nash) and Jordan Farmar are all set to return to the Lakers soon, providing some much-needed depth at guard. It will be interesting to see how D’Antoni deals with Kendall Marshall, who was picked up out of the D-League and has played well for the team in the past few weeks. Marshall has become a fan favorite.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 0
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 17
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49