Jan 31, 2014, 7:48 PM EDT
Josh Smith is having the worst season of his career.
Playing far too much small forward, a position he can handle only in select matchups, his defense has really fallen off. Though Smith defends power forwards well, his his lack of speed on the perimeter kills his ability to chase wings around screens. He’s also taking way too many jumpers and not getting inside enough, an issue that exists no matter which forward position he’s playing.
Some of that is Smith fault, and some of that is the Pistons’. But it’s all the Pistons’ problem.
The Pistons signed Smith to a four-year, $54 million contract last summer, and they’ll have to pay him all that money – or find someone else to do it.
The Josh Smith experiment in Detroit is not going well, and there’s strong opinion around the league that the Pistons would trade him if they could — and “could” is the key word. Since Smith is in the first year of a four-year, $56 million deal, he is one of the most untradable players in the league.
If the Pistons are desperate to trade Smith, that’s something people around the league would know, because that would mean the Pistons are calling around to shop him.
That would also jive with the Pistons’ reported plan to keep Greg Monroe.
Here are a few Smith trade ideas, from least appealing to most appealing from a Pistons perspective:
- Smith to the Celtics for Gerald Wallace (three years remaining on his contract) – with Keith Bogans (zero remaining guaranteed years) included to make salaries match
- Smith to the Knicks for Andrea Bargnani (two years remaining)
- Smith to the Bobcats for Ben Gordon (expiring contract)
- Smith to the Suns for Emeka Okafor (expiring contract whose salary is partially covered by insurance)
Some of those players would make the Pistons a little better, some a little worse. But that’s not the point here. These deals are totally about the contracts.
Gordon would be the most interesting deal of the four. The Pistons actually traded Gordon and a first-round pick to Charlotte to clear the cap room used to sign Smith. The Bobcats could really use a power forward, and Smith would fit relatively well in Charlotte.
But would Dumars so publically admit a mistake? After all, the series of transactions – trading Gordon and a pick for Corey Maggette’s expiring contract, signing Smith, trading Smith for Gordon – would essentially leave the Pistons nothing to show for their troubles except a lost first-round pick.
In a completely logical world, those previous moves wouldn’t matter. They’re sunk costs. If trading Smith for Gordon improves the Pistons’ outlook now, they should do it.
Obviously, it doesn’t always work that way.
But much earlier in his tenure, Dumars’ biggest strength was his ability to admit and fix mistakes.
- He whiffed on the Mateen Cleaves pick, but sent the former Michigan State point guard to the Kings after just one year for Jon Barry (a strong backup during the Pistons’ resurgance) and a first-round pick that became Carlos Delfino.
- The next year, Dumars drafted Rodney White, another bust. Again, he traded White after just one year to the Nuggets for a do-over first-rounder – which was eventually part of the Rasheed Wallace trade and, coincidentally, used to select Smith.
- When Ben Wallace left Detroit, Dumars gave Nazr Mohammed a long contract to replace him. But after just a season-and-a-half with the Pistons, Mohammed was sent to Charlotte for spare parts.
Would Dumars repeat that productive, though self-deprecating. approach here? Would he admit his mistake and dump Smith for simply a shorter contract?
Perhaps the better question: Can he?
Aug 22, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
A fine choice, even if he isn’t the best current NBA player from Spain.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Hairston’s guarantee will total $2 million over two seasons.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Curry, seen on video discussing it, still seems upset by the situation.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
If true, Thompson needs a much thicker skin.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Watching Smith and his gunner, ball-stopping tendencies try to fit in the move-the-ball, read and react triangle offense is going to be interesting. To put it kindly.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
His critics don’t get it, but Jeremy Lin is a solid NBA guard now.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Krzyzewski – surprise, surprise – also reportedly likes Mason Plumlee, who played at Duke
Bulls’ Doug McDermott’s can’t sing, tries to lead Cubs’ fans in “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” anyway
Aug 22, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Doug McDermott can’t sing. We know that now.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
The Greek freak is going to be so much fun to watch at the world Cup.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The hopes of the Finnish nation are crushed…. if they even noticed.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Stiviano claims Sterling paid her to act as his beard
Aug 22, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Energy is a skill.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
James, on one-year minimum-salary contract, will have right to veto trades
Aug 22, 2014, 12:59 AM EDT
This had been expected.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Knicks finally considering the importance of developing young talent for the future.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Wiggins too, while guys like Alexey Shved will be sent to the Sixers.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
Gone are the days when Shaq would have used this as an opportunity to take a shot at Kobe.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Why give up assets now, when either player could be signed outright as an unrestricted free agent next summer?
Aug 21, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Stephen Curry: “We’re still taking applications.”
Aug 21, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
He denied this yesterday.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 74
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32