Jan 31, 2014, 8:46 AM EST
Consider this our version of the equal time rule.
Thursday we told you the Brooklyn Nets planned to go hard at Kevin Durant in 2016 when he can become a free agent. They will not be alone — it is likely the Knicks, Lakers and a host of other teams that could have cap space that year will be lined up at Durant’s door.
That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. Every time he speaks publicly he sounds like a guy who likes it in Oklahoma City and doesn’t want to bolt.
Like what he said on Spike Lee’s new SiriusXM NBA Radio show “Spike Lee’s Best Seat in the House”
“I love playing there. The city fits me. I’m one of those guys that just likes to chill. That’s exactly how the town is. The people are supportive. The fans are there all the time at the games. Every game feels like it’s a sellout. They just support us so much.”
Two points here.
First, it is impossible to say what Durant will be thinking in 2016 — Durant doesn’t know what he will be thinking in 2016. He gets max money anywhere, he’s the level of international star who doesn’t get a big boost in endorsement deals in a big city because everyone is knocking on his door already. He can base his choice on where he wants to live and where he can win titles, with the latter part of that holding a lot of sway.
If I were to bet I would bet he stays put in Oklahoma City. If they have Russell Westbrook under contract, Serge Ibaka under contract and some good role players around them this is a core that can compete for a title. They’ve been to one Finals and they are contenders this season. If they remain contenders, Oklahoma City can offer the most money guaranteed, and he likes living there, why is it again he’s going to bolt?
But we’ll see in a couple years.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8