Report: Nets to target Kevin Durant in 2016

Jan 30, 2014, 12:58 PM EST

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat Getty Images

Let’s start with the obvious: If Kevin Durant decides to become a free agent in 2016 and talk to other teams, the line of GMs at his door will be as long or longer than the one LeBron James saw in 2010. The other obvious statements here are Durant and LeBron are different people, their situations with the team that drafted them feel different (at least right now), and nobody has any idea right now what Durant will be thinking come 2016. Including Durant. It’s more than two years away.

All that said, if you’re a team GM or president looking to restructure your roster, you need to think now about having cap space in 2016 to go after Durant, in case he does decide to see what lies outside OKC.

And the Nets plan to be one of those teams and go after him hard, reports Stefan Bondy at the New York Daily News.

The impending Durant free agency bonanza should start picking up steam next season and will undoubtedly engulf the NBA in the summer of 2016. And make no mistake: the Nets are targeting Durant, the 25-year-old offensive juggernaut, even if it’s too early to predict their odds.

The Nets could be committed to no salary when Durant becomes a free agent, depending on whether Deron Williams picks up his one-year option for the 2016-17 season. Everybody else is off the books.

Just know that the Knicks, Lakers and a host of other teams in major markets potentially will have cap space that summer (depending on what happens with Carmelo Anthony and the rest of the class this summer, then Kevin Love and others in 2015).

For Durant, his decision likely will come down to where he thinks he can best contend for titles and where he feels the most comfortable.

He’s a max salary player and while the Thunder can offer him an extra season of guaranteed money Durant will be 27 in the summer of 2016 so another huge contract is very likely to come after this one.

If your argument is endorsements, Durant is one of only a couple players (LeBron James, Kobe Bryant) who are so big nationally and internationally that the market they are in is not going to really matter for endorsements. Everyone is knocking on his door already. Moving to a major market is not the same major boost for them it is for players on other tiers.

Durant likes living in Oklahoma City and with a team around him that is a contender he may not even look outside the Thunder organization. That would be the smart bet right now. But it’s impossible to say what the Thunder will look like exactly (this ownership group does not want to pay the luxury tax) and how Durant will feel about it more than two years from now.

Know GMs around the league are planning now, just in case Durant does decide to test the waters.

1. aboogy123456 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I don’t agree with your argument about endorsements. Of course Durant will always get endorsements, but the value of those endorsements will be much less than what they would be in New York, and that’s how he should factor that in. I looked on the Forbes list which is not entirely up to date, but Derrick rose got $21 million in endorsements over a year, Kobe got $34 million in endorsements, and Durant only got $14 million. Yes, they all get paid a lot, but the difference is pretty substantial.

2. cluelessdufus - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Good luck with that, this guy won’t leave the Thunder in case something goes wrong or at least won’t go to Brooklyn if he can’t win with the Thunder, he won’t go to a worse team with so many financial problems to put players around him to succeed.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Scott Brooks is not a Championship coach, this will be
      the reason KD and Westbrook will leave,I think KD will
      sign be in NYC. I welcome you KD to MSG.

• sportsfan18 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Evil,

So you’re saying Durant (and Westbrook) leave due to a lack of a championship level coach.

You say Durant will go to the Knicks.

And who have been the championship level coaches for the Knicks in say the past 25 to 30 year?

Is their current coach a championship level coach?

So IF Durant were to leave because of his coach, WHY would he go to another team where the coach wasn’t a championship level coach like the Knicks?

Oh, maybe because the owner is good. Oh wait, Dolan is the owner…

3. fanofevilempire - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM

He will be playing @

4. mcfleezy12 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I think every team will ( If they have the cap space). How dumb is that statement tho. I’m hungry, so I think I’ll eat.

5. fanofevilempire - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM

He will be playing @ MSG, why would he want to play on the Nets, all they have is
    history about the old days in Jersey.

Look at the Super Bowl, they can’t say NJ/NY Super Bowl, they have to have NY first
    otherwise who would attend the game.

6. bhunter1995 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM

If KD left OKC to begin with, I doubt he would go to the Nets who will be a collection of old legs and cheap random offseason pickups in 2016, as their payroll is massive and they traded almost all of their picks. Why leave OKC anyway, Lamb, Adams, Jones and Ibaka are all getting better and even Westbrook is improving. OKC will be better in 2016 then they are now, if they develop their talent well which they have done thus far. Not to mention the fact that OKC is an attractive destination for free agents especially ring chasing vets, who knows what players OKC will have picked up by 2016.

7. bucrightoff - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Report: Every single team in the NBA to target Kevin Durant in 2016 if he’s a free agent.

8. money2long - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Report: money2long to target Megan Fox in 2016
    note to self: sometimes targets miss.

9. kb2408 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Well, considering K. Love will be a LAKER in 2015 and the LAKERS will have a top 5 pick on the roster next season and Kobe’s contract will coming off the books in 2016, I think it’s a foregone conclusion that “if” KD leaves OKC it will be to join the NBA’s most glamorous franchise. It almost makes too much sense. Now, I’m not sure KD will leave but if he does the LAKERS will have a bette

• kb2408 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Sorry, technical difficulties! Like I was saying, the LAKERS will have a better chance than any other team. It may be dark right now LAKER fans but the sunshine will return very soon!!

• sportsfan18 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Kobe is coming back to score more points… to pass MJ and to eventually become the all time leading scorer in the league.

The lakers will not have a top 5 pick. Their pick will be like #8 or so as Kobe’s return will cause them to not pick at like #4, but to move down to #8 or so.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM

That would be awesome! I hope it happens, even if it is unlikely.

10. billtetley53 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM

You are a technical difficulty.

I knew as soon as I saw the headline that your moronic self would be on here spouting this nonsense.

Yep, Love AND Durant are going to leave $ on the table to play for the lakers. You’re an idiot. You always have been, you always will be.

I’d bet ya this doesn’t happen, but you’d just Welch out on that one too.

Sorry to say, that the Lakers are going to be bad to mediocre for quite some time.
    Get used to it.

• kb2408 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Your juvenile insults don’t bother me, sir. And I said LAKERS, not celtics. See, unlike Boston, the LAKERS do not go decades between titles. I know the truth hurts but accept it and it will be easier. The LAKERS are in great shape for the future. Mitch knew exactly what he was doing by only giving out short-term deals.

• nflcrimerankingscom - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM

2000 – 1988 > 1 decade

• kb2408 - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Ten titles since 1979 > 1 title since the mid 80’s.

11. phillysports1 - Jan 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM

@fanofevilemipire
    Mike Woodson is a championship head coach ??? ^^^Everything you say for now is worthless for the rest of your life .

12. cantonbound13 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:00 PM

LeBron is jealous

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Nah, he’ll be heading to Chicago to finish out his career. Call me crazy, but I’m throwing it out there. The Bulls just got rid of Deng – a small forward. And Rose has to change his style or he won’t last in the NBA, so you don’t bring in someone like Melo because he needs a point guard to set him up. LeBron makes the most sense: plays defense (which Thibs likes), he replaces the Deng hole, and he takes ball handling away from Rose.

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Forgot to say that they’ll amnesty Boozer to free up the cash.

• cantonbound13 - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Too much pressure for him in Chicago. He’ll never accomplish what Michael did & would be considered a failure there. He’s staying in Miami & recruiting all stars to help him win championships & build his fake legacy.

13. smcgaels1997 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM

lol good fur then targeting..as if 32 other teams won’t be

14. shanelsweet - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I’m surprised you hadn’t heard yet. KD is coming home to the Wizards to play with Wall, Beal, Monroe and Porter. You may think he likes living in OKC, but he loves Baltimore/Washington. So much more multicultural.

• coachjac30 - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

so in your fantasy land the Wizards are going to sign Beal to a big money deal, either trade a bag of balls for or sign Monroe, and then have enough money to sign Durant? No chance in hell he signs with Washington. Why would he go from one shoot first PG to another?

15. tomtravis76 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Durant is coming home to DC.

• kb2408 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:30 PM

@tt76, not happening. But you guys have a much better chance than say…the celtics.

16. jbones77 - Jan 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM

No coach is a “championship level coach” until they, you know, win a championship. So I guess he’s going to Miami, Dallas or San Antonio.

17. ProBasketballPundit - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

18. pfic15 - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM

The Thunder can still add some pieces once Perkins and his horrible contract are history. I think Durant stays in OKC. If he goes anywhere, he can come play for the Pelicans. ..yes I know the chances are less than 0%.

19. billtetley53 - Jan 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM

3 coiler(kb2408)

You seem to have forgotten that I was only a fan of the Celtics because of Kevin Garnett.(that’s not surprising, you didn’t remember much about Jerry West until I educated you on it.)

So, I’m a Nets fan at this point and time, they are on a 10-2 and will be in the playoffs this year. How about your lakers????

You get insulted because you deserve it.
    You’re an over the top moron.

Still haven’t answered why you’re here when you lost a bet……loser.

Neither Love or Durant is coming to L.A. Dr.BUSS is dead. Jimmy is not his dad. You can’t just outbid everyone for the players you want. Its s different landscape and you STILL aren’t getting it.
    They aren’t leaving big $ on the table.

Keep your head in the sand though, or up your backside orifice..

• asimonetti88 - Jan 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM

“You seem to have forgotten that I was only a fan of the Celtics because of Kevin Garnett. So, I’m a Nets fan at this point and time”

So you’re a bandwagoner?

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM

No, he seems to follow players. I get that. I’m the same way. I always figured it was because I was raised watching boxing, and that purely an individual sport, so you follow the athlete.

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I would define a bandwagon fan as a person who follows the best team at that time. I bet Bill liked the Wolves when KG was there, and they never won anything.

• kb2408 - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM

@asimonetti88, bingo!! That in a nutshell is the definition of a bandwagon fan. What happens when a player retires? I guess he latches on to the gonads of the next hottest player to enter the league. I admit I became a fan of the LAKERS when they drafted Magic. But at the time I was just a child. So, the LAKERS have been my fave team my entire life. That means through the lean years after Magic retired, through the Kwame/Smush years and now through this season. True fans stick with their team through thick and thin! Even when Kobe retires I will still be a LAKERS fan until the day they bury me in my PURPLE AND GOLD casket!!!

• antistratfordian - Jan 30, 2014 at 8:37 PM

• asimonetti88 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:34 PM

“No, a bandwagoner starts following a team because they start winning – like you guys with the Lakers around 2008.”

Haha yeah, it’s not like I live in the LA area or anything.

• bougin89 - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:14 AM

And if this dude was a bandwagoner who only “follows the next hottest player”, as kb2408 said, he would already be a LeBron or Durant fan. Instead, he’s still following a way-past-his-prime Garnett around, even when he’s on some lackluster sub .500 team.”

Anti calling out somebody else for being a bandwagon fan?? LOL this is classic.

20. billtetley53 - Jan 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM

fan, you are absolutely correct. I like KG and the way he plays. I feel no allegiance to any team in the nba.

Prior to Garnett, I liked Jordan, prior to that it was Dr.J and Moses Malone.

Once KG is done, I won’t follow any nba team.
    I will still loathe lakers fans though, its not suprising that monetti didn’t understand.

21. billtetley53 - Jan 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM

And then there is the resident myopic one. Here is a clue for you 2 nitwits.
    Being a bandwagon fan would mean I followed the lakers when they were good…then the pustons, bulls on down the line to the heat….GET IT? I’m following a player…Jesus!

Kb, you’re still a child. You worship Kobe like a hero and you’re 40 years old.
    That’s just creepy and very sad. You’re going to cry when he retires? Yuckaroo.

Lets hope that purple and gold casket is filled soon, huh?

I will root for who and what team any way I want. But I am far from bandwagon fan.
    By the way, keep posting the dumb amount of titles lakers vs. celtics…I’m not a Celtics fan, your point is moot,

Still showing your ignorance post after post, at least that hasn’t changed.

22. jhop86 - Jan 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM

This guy was hart broken when harden left could you imagine him leaving Westbrook and the fan support of the thunder

23. billtetley53 - Jan 31, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Monetti, you were wrong, just admit it.

How are we to know you really live in L.A.?
    Hey everybody, ii live in Rio. See how easy that is ?

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches