Jan 30, 2014, 2:06 PM EST
We had passed along the report this was coming, now the league has make it official:
Mark Tatum will become the NBA’s new Deputy Commissioner and COO starting Feb. 1, the league announced. This will make him the highest ranking African-American in the league office of any of the major American professional sports.
Tatum will be the No. 2 man at the NBA office, right behind Commissioner Adam Silver, who takes over Saturday after David Stern steps down following 30 years on that job.
“Mark Tatum’s appointment as NBA Deputy Commissioner is recognition of the confidence our owners and teams have in his leadership ability and track record of success,” Silver said in a released statement. “As Deputy Commissioner and COO, Mark will use his extensive industry relationships and knowledge of our game to help guide and grow our league.”
The change of leadership at the top of the NBA is more one of style than substance — every major move Stern made in recent years Silver was completely in agreement with. The difference is while Stern is a big, strong personality Silver is a little more of a modern-era CEO and a consensus builder.
Other promotions were announced out of the league offices, effective Feb. 1.
Bill Koenig, NBA Executive Vice President, Business Affairs and General Counsel, has been promoted to President, Global Media Distribution, reporting to Silver. Sal LaRocca, NBA Executive Vice President, Global Merchandising Group, has been promoted to President, Global Operations and Merchandising, and Danny Meiseles, NBA Executive Vice President and Executive Producer, has been promoted to President and Executive Producer, Content.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12