Jan 30, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
If “Bull Durham” taught us one thing, it’s you don’t mess with a streak. (That and don’t throw punches with your pitching hand.)
The Brooklyn Nets are in the playoff picture in the East and just three games back of winning the Atlantic Division after having won 10-of-12.
They are on a streak and coach Jason Kidd is not going to mess with it — which means Shaun Livingston will keep starting (he’s played well) and Deron Williams will keep coming off the bench. Here is what Kidd said, via Newsday.
The Nets’ $98-million point guard has come off the bench the last five games since returning from an ankle injury on Jan. 20, and coach Jason Kidd said Wednesday that Williams will have to resume his starting role “at some point,” but there isn’t much of a rush.
“We haven’t even talked about it,” Kidd said after practice. “We gave him and Joe [Johnson] rest days, so [Thursday] we’ll see how they feel and see if we have time to get them with that first group.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
We will see if that changes in the coming weeks — the Nets lost a close one to Atlantic Division leading Toronto Raptors (who got the last shot after Patrick Patterson stole Williams’ inbound pass in the final seconds of the game) and have some tough games coming up: Oklahoma City Friday, then Indiana, Philadelphia and San Antonio.
If the Nets start to lose expect to see Williams back in as a starter. But for now, you don’t mess with a streak.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30