Jan 30, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
If “Bull Durham” taught us one thing, it’s you don’t mess with a streak. (That and don’t throw punches with your pitching hand.)
The Brooklyn Nets are in the playoff picture in the East and just three games back of winning the Atlantic Division after having won 10-of-12.
They are on a streak and coach Jason Kidd is not going to mess with it — which means Shaun Livingston will keep starting (he’s played well) and Deron Williams will keep coming off the bench. Here is what Kidd said, via Newsday.
The Nets’ $98-million point guard has come off the bench the last five games since returning from an ankle injury on Jan. 20, and coach Jason Kidd said Wednesday that Williams will have to resume his starting role “at some point,” but there isn’t much of a rush.
“We haven’t even talked about it,” Kidd said after practice. “We gave him and Joe [Johnson] rest days, so [Thursday] we’ll see how they feel and see if we have time to get them with that first group.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
We will see if that changes in the coming weeks — the Nets lost a close one to Atlantic Division leading Toronto Raptors (who got the last shot after Patrick Patterson stole Williams’ inbound pass in the final seconds of the game) and have some tough games coming up: Oklahoma City Friday, then Indiana, Philadelphia and San Antonio.
If the Nets start to lose expect to see Williams back in as a starter. But for now, you don’t mess with a streak.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 6
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 15
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18