Jan 30, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
If “Bull Durham” taught us one thing, it’s you don’t mess with a streak. (That and don’t throw punches with your pitching hand.)
The Brooklyn Nets are in the playoff picture in the East and just three games back of winning the Atlantic Division after having won 10-of-12.
They are on a streak and coach Jason Kidd is not going to mess with it — which means Shaun Livingston will keep starting (he’s played well) and Deron Williams will keep coming off the bench. Here is what Kidd said, via Newsday.
The Nets’ $98-million point guard has come off the bench the last five games since returning from an ankle injury on Jan. 20, and coach Jason Kidd said Wednesday that Williams will have to resume his starting role “at some point,” but there isn’t much of a rush.
“We haven’t even talked about it,” Kidd said after practice. “We gave him and Joe [Johnson] rest days, so [Thursday] we’ll see how they feel and see if we have time to get them with that first group.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
We will see if that changes in the coming weeks — the Nets lost a close one to Atlantic Division leading Toronto Raptors (who got the last shot after Patrick Patterson stole Williams’ inbound pass in the final seconds of the game) and have some tough games coming up: Oklahoma City Friday, then Indiana, Philadelphia and San Antonio.
If the Nets start to lose expect to see Williams back in as a starter. But for now, you don’t mess with a streak.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13