Jan 29, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Some architectural renderings of the new arena in Sacramento have been released, and the most interesting feature was a retractable glass entryway that lets people outside see into the area during events.
• If you read on thing today, it should be this oral history of David Stern’s 30-year tenure as NBA Commissioner, which ends this weekend.
• The United States government is investigating Dennis Rodman because during his controversial trip to North Korea he took some gifts to Kim Jung Un that violated US sanctions against North Korea. Apparently Rodman’s own vodka can be considered a premium product.
• Magic Johnson slammed Mike D’Antoni on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I’m weary of Magic’s act as an analyst, this whole “this shouldn’t happen to the Lakers” crap he spouts ignores the realities of today’s NBA — he praised the hiring of Mike Brown at the time now slams ownership for it. Magic, talk about the Dodgers and stop talking about the Lakers.
• So your team is going to have a lot of cap space in the next couple years and that is how you are going to rebuild? Historically, that doesn’t work as well as you think.
• The Raptors are not really talking extension with coach Dwane Casey.
• Milwaukee’s GM does a Q&A about the worst team in the NBA this season. His team, for the record.
• I’ve said it before in his space but I’ll say it again — if you love the NBA you should be listening to SiriusXM NBA Radio (channel 217). Another reason to do it: Portland Trail Blazers rookie guard CJ McCollum has a new show on the network. “Year One with CJ McCollum” airs every Thursday (6:00-7:00pm ET/3:00-4:00 pm PT).
“I am really excited about the opportunity to host my own radio show on SiriusXM NBA Radio and chronicle my journey as a rookie,” said McCollum in a released statement. “I’ll share my own stories and interview other NBA players as we cover everything from travel, teammates, diet, practices, and games as well as what I do when I am not playing. This lifestyle is very different from life at Lehigh as a college student but I’m finding my way.”
• Shawne Williams has signed with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the D-League.
• You may not remember former NBA player Zoran Planinic but he hit as amazing a game winner as you are going to see for Anadolu Efes in Istanbul to give them the win over Emporio Armani Milano.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3