Michael Carter-Williams, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard all in All-Star Weekend Rising Stars Challenge
Jan 29, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
While the All-Star Game itself is an exhibition for the biggest names in basketball, a sneaky fun part of All-Star Weekend is always the Rising Stars Challenge — watching the games best young players put on a little show.
And there are plenty of good young players to showcase this season.
Last season’s Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard of Portland will be joined by the guy leading that race this season — Michael Carter-Williams of the Philadelphia 76ers — in this year’s edition of the Rising Stars Challenge. The game takes place Friday night of All-Star weekend, Feb. 14, in New Orleans.
Lillard likely will pull double duty on the weekend, playing in the All-Star Game on Sunday as well (it’s likely the coaches select him as a reserve). It’s possible Anthony Davis of the Pelicans, who has put up monster numbers the last couple games, will join him – Davis also is scheduled for the Rising Stars Challenge.
Joining Davis and Lillard as second-year players with an invite are (Harrison Barnes (Warriors), Bradley Beal (Wizards), Andre Drummond (Pistons), Terrence Jones (Rockets), Jared Sullinger (Celtics), Jonas Valanciunas (Raptors) and Dion Waiters (Cavaliers).
Other rookies in the game besides Carter-Williams are Steven Adams (Thunder), Pero Antic (Hawks), Giannis Antetokounmpo (Bucks), Trey Burke (Jazz), Tim Hardaway, Jr. (Knicks), Victor Oladipo (Magic), Kelly Olynyk (Celtics), and Mason Plumlee (Nets).
Eventually the rookies and sophomores will be drafted into teams, then once those teams are set fans will be able to go online at NBA.com and vote for what players should start on both teams. The coaches for the teams will be an assistant from the staff of Scott Brooks of the Thunder and Frank Vogel in Indiana (those are the two All-Star Game coaches, their lead assistants have to work Friday night, too).
The game will be broadcast by TNT on Feb. 14 starting at 7 p.m. Eastern.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 47
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42