Jan 29, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:57 pm: Turns out this was worse than the Spurs were letting on at first.
Manu Ginobili will be out 3-4 weeks, the team announced. Ginobili had an MRI on his leg Wednesday and it revealed the strain. The Spurs do not mess around with these injuries, preferring to rest their players more now and have them healthy in the playoffs than to win a couple more regular season games.
But San Antonio will miss Ginobili, who has been a leading candidate for the Sixth Man of the Year Award. The Spurs are 14 points per 100 possessions better than their opponents when he is on the court and that kind of production is just hard to replace. Even for the Spurs in their system.
2:08 pm: This is one of those things where if it were the playoffs he could probably go, but there is no reason to risk it for a January game.
Manu Ginobili will not suit up for the Spurs Wednesday night after tweaking his hamstring Thursday night.
In the third quarter Tuesday night Ginobili went up for a dunk and clearly tweaked in on the play, instantly going back to the locker room with the training staff. He did not return and coach Gregg Popovich wasted no time after that game saying Ginobili was out. It’s the regular season and Popovich isn’t going to take risks now.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The good news is the Spurs are describing the injury as hamstring “tightness” and not any kind of pull or strain.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49