Jan 29, 2014, 4:58 PM EST
UPDATE 4:57 pm: Turns out this was worse than the Spurs were letting on at first.
Manu Ginobili will be out 3-4 weeks, the team announced. Ginobili had an MRI on his leg Wednesday and it revealed the strain. The Spurs do not mess around with these injuries, preferring to rest their players more now and have them healthy in the playoffs than to win a couple more regular season games.
But San Antonio will miss Ginobili, who has been a leading candidate for the Sixth Man of the Year Award. The Spurs are 14 points per 100 possessions better than their opponents when he is on the court and that kind of production is just hard to replace. Even for the Spurs in their system.
2:08 pm: This is one of those things where if it were the playoffs he could probably go, but there is no reason to risk it for a January game.
Manu Ginobili will not suit up for the Spurs Wednesday night after tweaking his hamstring Thursday night.
In the third quarter Tuesday night Ginobili went up for a dunk and clearly tweaked in on the play, instantly going back to the locker room with the training staff. He did not return and coach Gregg Popovich wasted no time after that game saying Ginobili was out. It’s the regular season and Popovich isn’t going to take risks now.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The good news is the Spurs are describing the injury as hamstring “tightness” and not any kind of pull or strain.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 3
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12