Kobe Bryant sick of riding bike, not happy to be out three more weeks

Jan 29, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

LA Lakers at Miami Getty Images

Kobe Bryant didn’t want to play in the All-Star Game, but this is not why.

Kobe will be out at least three more weeks, the team announced Tuesday night. He has a fractured lateral tibial plateau — the top of the shin bone where it connects to the knee — and this is not something where he can just play through the pain (like he did with a broken finger), the bone has to heal before he can run. That means no All-Star Game for Bryant.

All he can do is ride the stationary bike, and as you might expect he’s pretty sick of it, he told the Los Angeles Times.

“I’m ready to throw the bike in the damn pool right about now.” he said, “But you do what you got to do.”

He admitted this injury has him out of sorts.

“[I'm] down about it,” Bryant said following the team’s 104-92 loss to the Pacers….

“It’s like an internal swelling,” he said. “It’s different. It’s not something that’s kind of on the surface where you can pinpoint and feel the swelling around. It’s deep in there.”

There will be calls for Kobe to shut it down for the season, even from a Lakers fan base where a portion of it has come around to the idea the team should tank the rest of this season and get a high draft pick in what is expected to be the best draft in a decade (as of today the Lakers would be the sixth pick, before the lottery).

That’s not how Kobe is wired. He will fight to get back on the court this season.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

But that’s going to be a while. Kobe will be re-evaluated in three weeks, but even if cleared to resume some level of basketball activity he will have conditioning and other training before he is back on the court.

1. ihavenonickname - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM

bad news for kobe, but good news for the lakers.

• kb2408 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Not spelling LAKERS in all caps is so disrespectful! But I completely agree with your comment.

2. fanofevilempire - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Kobe really has to shut it down, I know he is a competitor but what can he do with that
    lineup, he should really put his health above everything as well, just rehab and be ready
    for a run with a good free agency and maybe a good player from the draft.

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:38 PM

How will the Lakers’ roster change next season? Aren’t they really looking toward 2015 when Kevin Love becomes a free agent? Will a top pick from this draft really put the Lakers over the top? I know that’s a lot of questions, but I’m trying to start a conversation. I’m interested to see how the Lakers will reinvent themselves because I’m not sure that happens over the next season or two (the length of Kobe’s contract) unless they pick up LeBron or something major like that. I don’t think Melo is the answer… Nor is anyone in the upcoming draft.

• aboogy123456 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I think there are a lot of uncertainties with this summer that we don’t know about. Will kobe be close to what he was before he got hurt? What will happen with Pau? what draft pick will the lakers get? what free agents can they sign?

It’s possible that kobe comes back healthy, they get melo and maybe another solid FA, pau re-signs, they get the number three pick. It’s also possible that kobe will be broken down, they don’t sign anybody, lose gasol for nothing, and get the number ten pick. There are a wide range of outcomes but I’m excited because the lakers have flexibility which is important..

• mogogo1 - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM

All good questions. Historically, they always seem to land a great draft pick or big free agent, so a quick turnaround is never impossible with them. But I’m starting to question if they’ll ever have the magic under the younger Buss that they did with his father.

I get they wanted to tell Kobe thanks and couldn’t imagine him playing elsewhere, but that huge contract only makes sense if they had a roster capable of making one final push. Even had they re-signed him prior to last year you could have seen the logic. But with this group? There’s nobody to really move that would bring much in return except maybe Gasol, and I still don’t think they’d ever get his value in return. They’ve spent their way into a corner where they can only afford small pieces outside draft picks but are several big pieces away from scaring anybody. I don’t see them making it out of the first round of the playoffs until after Kobe is retired.

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 29, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Good points aboogy. And I’m inclined to think the same way, mogogo.

• money2long - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:16 PM

had stern allowed the cp3 trade, and dwight stayed a laker in the separate bynum deal, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. the lakers would be a different animal.

the lakers had a vision to pair paul and dwight with kobe. that team would have been nice to see.

• skids003 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Think of all the points he’ll have to make up in order to catch Jabbar on the all time list. He’ll have to shoot 40 times a game now instead of 30.

And unless Kevin Love wants to lower his points average and up his offensive rebounds, he’ll go somewhere else.

3. thomaskouns - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM

News Flash: Kobe ties

4. kb2408 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I love me some Kobe but this is nothing but good news for my LAKERS, who have not had a high draft pick since Big Game James.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Bynum and Eddie Jones were top 10 and George Lynch was a lottery pick.

• antistratfordian - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM

You shouldn’t want to be in a fan base that goes from, at minimum, enjoying the playoffs every year to getting excited about potential top picks. Trust this Dolphins fan. The moment that changes, so does everything else. Winning starts to get more and more difficult unless you draft a once in a generation difference maker (and, of course, we ignore the rarity of it and convince ourselves that this is exactly what’s going to happen).

You’re much better off hoping that Kobe returns, has some incredible run, and the Lakers get back into the playoffs.

• kb2408 - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Bynum and Jones were both number 10 picks and Lynch went number 12. Hmmm, I guess I should’ve clarified what I consider a high draft pick. I’m thinking top 3-5.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM

True! Most of the Lakers’ top 10 picks came when the league was only 10 teams big. In 1973 they drafted Kermit Washington #5 overall but that was a pick from Cleveland. They drafted David Meyers and Junior Bridgeman in the top 10 in 1975 and traded them for KAJ, a pretty nice deal. Kenny Carr was #6 in 1977. Magic was taken in 1979 with a pick from Utah and Big Game James was #1 with a pick from Cleveland in 82. Since Worthy the highest the Lakers have picked was #10 when they drafted Eddie J and Bynum!

5. shuttaman1990 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:42 PM

It’s all because of D’antoni… no Buss for hiring him.
    Seriously none of this crap happens if we had Phil
    Phil would have had the balls to tell kobe to sit his butt down on the bench instead of letting him play with only 4-5 mins breaks per game that led him to rupture his achilles last season.
    Good Job Jim Buss your ego caused all this. From dwight leaving(he stays if phil is there) to this

• kb2408 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Man, can we end the Phil worship already?! Look, I love PJ and IMO he is the greatest coach ever. But the LAKERS weren’t exactly a juggernaut his last year on the bench.

• aboogy123456 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM

One thing that Phil or any good coach does well is play with perspective and grow young players. Kobe was great last year but there’s no excuse for any coach riding their guy for 40+ minutes a night. You have to rely on role players at some point in the playoffs and good coaches know this. That being said, I like how they are developing their young players this year, and i think D’Antoni doesn’t get enough credit for how well the offense has played in his two years.

• aboogy123456 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I disagree where you say this is good for the lakers. I’m rooting for them to lose every game so they get a high pick, but they have a lot of cap space this summer. I think it would be highly beneficial if kobe can show he can still play so they can entice free agents to want to play with him this summer. With a high draft pick and a couple good free agent signings, lakers can come back soon.

• kb2408 - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM

@aboog, there are only two “potential” free agents that could turn the LAKERS into contenders next season, LBJ and Melo, and the chances of either one of them coming to the LAKERS is slim and none. Therefore, what we have to look forward to is 2015-16.

• mogogo1 - Jan 29, 2014 at 3:41 PM

It would have been interesting to have seen how Phil Jackson handled things last year. I have no doubt they’d have won a lot more games and he could have kept the internal strife down enough to where maybe Howard returns. But if Kobe still goes down, it ultimately ends the same.

Biggest mistake I see is that last year was basically an all-in to get a title. When that failed miserably I think the only smart option was to rebuild. They should have offered Kobe a more realistic contract maybe with some promises of some front office job after he retires to offset things and if he wouldn’t take it they should have let him go. Not a popular move, but that would have gotten them competitive again faster than is going to happen. They’re basically broke until Kobe retires. How do you fill multiple holes when you have no money? Even with a great draft pick they probably only win maybe on playoff series.

6. mackcarrington - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I’m really interested to know what “high draft pick” is going to put the Lakers in the NBA Finals next season.

7. billtetley53 - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Newsflash, you aren’t getting any top free agents in 2015 either.

This team is stuck if that’s their gameplan.

This couldnt happen to a better fanbase.
    Egotistical. arrogant, know nothing fanbase.

Kb, it sounds like you’ve been listening to me a bit though, you’ve tempered your enthusiasm a bit. They still are going to stink for years though. Get used to it.

• musician0785 - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Sounds like someone has a little bit of laker envy….I guess if I hated a team, that had been the most successful in the league the last 20 years, I would be as bitter as you are

• musician0785 - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM

“Kb, it sounds like you’ve been listening to me a bit though”

Newsflash….No one listens to you

8. billtetley53 - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:08 PM

musician : Congrats, you made two posts in a row without the word troll in it, you whiny b**ch!

No envy at all whatsoever, I just enjoy seeing the laker fanbase suffer.

You see, I don’t hate the laker team at all.
    I was a fan in the 80s becaue I liked Jabbar, Nixon, and Mcadoo.

dReading the posts of you laker fans idiots the last few years had made me detest your fanbase.

It has zero to do with envy and everything to do with you moronic fans.

Just sit there and take it sausage wallet, you certainly ran your mouth when the going was good, you big crybaby.

• musician0785 - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I am neither a moron nor an idiot… people who go on articles of teams they aren’t fans of, specifically to outrage fans of those teams are whiny bitches….be a man, spell out the word….

I ran my mouth when the going was good? show me….

I see that you arent intelligent enough to dinstinguish individuals from an entire fanbase….most laker fans are uniformed, but then again i could say that about a myriad of fans of different fan bases. You out here calling all lakers fans, all kinds of ridiculous names just to make yourself feel better? That is the definiton of a loser, or how you so eloquently put it…..sausage wallet….

9. fordmandalay - Jan 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Stern’s plan to sink the LAKERS by disallowing the Chris Paul deal, to guarantee the Heat becoming champions has bitten the NBA in the butt. He wanted to make the league ‘more competitive’ and attract fans in lesser markets, but the NBA NEEDS the glamour teams as national and international icons. Ratings and attendance have been suffering, who outside places like Oklahoma or Memphis wants to root for small town teams?

10. billtetley53 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Are you STILL crying about that?!

Jesus, that trade was nixed because it was awful.

Get over it. I’d tell you to quit living in the past, but you’re going to be doing a lot of that for the foreseeable future.

Keep waving those past banners boys….

11. onlyavoice - Jan 30, 2014 at 9:40 PM

He needs to get away from the game & relax & heal.
    Take the family on vacation, sit on the beach, go fishing, maybe rent a mobile home & take a long drive,
    just get away from it all & come back fresh.
    He’s got 2 more seasons, why force anything.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches