Jan 28, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
Dante Exum is an Australian 6’6″ point guard who has had scouts drooling over both his current skill set and his NBA potential for well over a year.
Many executives of teams currently projected to end up in the lottery have yet to see him play in person, but that’s likely to change over the next few months with Exum reportedly ready to declare for this summer’s draft.
From Chad Ford of ESPN.com:
Australian phenom Dante Exum has decided to declare for the 2014 NBA draft, his family and agent told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
Exum’s star rose with a terrific Nike Hoop Summit performance in April followed by a big performance last summer at the FIBA U-19 championships, where he averaged 18 points and nearly four assists per game. He had a 33-point game against Spain in the quarterfinals and a 28-point game vs. Lithuania in the bronze-medal game.
I got a look at Exum at adidas Eurocamp in Italy last summer, but only technically. He was dealing with a stress fracture in his foot that prevented him from being a full participant, but seeing him go through a light shooting workout and hit from all distances with ease, you can see why teams will be interested.
Exum is projected to be a top-five pick, but plenty can change between now and June 26. Check out the video clip above, which is an extensive preseason breakdown of Exum put together by the good folks at DraftExpress.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 11
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43