Jan 28, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
Dante Exum is an Australian 6’6″ point guard who has had scouts drooling over both his current skill set and his NBA potential for well over a year.
Many executives of teams currently projected to end up in the lottery have yet to see him play in person, but that’s likely to change over the next few months with Exum reportedly ready to declare for this summer’s draft.
From Chad Ford of ESPN.com:
Australian phenom Dante Exum has decided to declare for the 2014 NBA draft, his family and agent told ESPN.com on Tuesday.
Exum’s star rose with a terrific Nike Hoop Summit performance in April followed by a big performance last summer at the FIBA U-19 championships, where he averaged 18 points and nearly four assists per game. He had a 33-point game against Spain in the quarterfinals and a 28-point game vs. Lithuania in the bronze-medal game.
I got a look at Exum at adidas Eurocamp in Italy last summer, but only technically. He was dealing with a stress fracture in his foot that prevented him from being a full participant, but seeing him go through a light shooting workout and hit from all distances with ease, you can see why teams will be interested.
Exum is projected to be a top-five pick, but plenty can change between now and June 26. Check out the video clip above, which is an extensive preseason breakdown of Exum put together by the good folks at DraftExpress.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49