Jan 28, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
You didn’t think we were going to go another day without an NBA injury, did you?
The last time the Minnesota Timberwolves were above .500 they were 8-7 and you hadn’t even had your Thanksgiving turkey yet. Ten times since then they have gotten back to .500 and 10 times they lost the next game.
They are hoping to break that streak Wednesday against the New Orleans Pelicans, but they are going to have to do it without big man Nikola Pekovic.
Pekovic is out for 7-10 days with bursitis in his right ankle, the team announced Tuesday. His ankle was bothering him before the Bulls game Monday and he played just six minutes before leaving for the rest of the night.
Bursitis is the inflammation or irritation of the sac of fluid that provides lubrication between bones, muscle ligaments and the like. We more often see this injury in elbows and shoulders than ankles.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Pekovic provides 18 points and 9 rebounds a game for Minnesota, plus he provides the physicality inside the team needs to let Kevin Love do his thing. Pekovic, however, does not provide a lot of rim protection.
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 4
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20