Jan 28, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
You didn’t think we were going to go another day without an NBA injury, did you?
The last time the Minnesota Timberwolves were above .500 they were 8-7 and you hadn’t even had your Thanksgiving turkey yet. Ten times since then they have gotten back to .500 and 10 times they lost the next game.
They are hoping to break that streak Wednesday against the New Orleans Pelicans, but they are going to have to do it without big man Nikola Pekovic.
Pekovic is out for 7-10 days with bursitis in his right ankle, the team announced Tuesday. His ankle was bothering him before the Bulls game Monday and he played just six minutes before leaving for the rest of the night.
Bursitis is the inflammation or irritation of the sac of fluid that provides lubrication between bones, muscle ligaments and the like. We more often see this injury in elbows and shoulders than ankles.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $65,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Pekovic provides 18 points and 9 rebounds a game for Minnesota, plus he provides the physicality inside the team needs to let Kevin Love do his thing. Pekovic, however, does not provide a lot of rim protection.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15