Jan 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
When you are the biggest name in the sport, you can get a few perks.
So if LeBron James wants to sit down with incoming NBA Commissioner Adam Silver — who takes over for David Stern as of this weekend — he might get his wish.
LeBron told Brian Windhorst of ESPN that a sit down with Silver is exactly what he wants.
“Hopefully I can sit down with the commish and just throw out some ideas where I hope the league can be better,” James said as the Heat prepared to face the Oklahoma City Thunder on Wednesday night (8 ET, ESPN). “Hopefully he has some ideas for me….
“It’s not a major change, but the game can always be bigger,” James said. “There’s a lot of people who love the game who can’t watch the game, so hopefully we can [expand it].”
LeBron and Silver will both be in New Orleans in a couple weeks, maybe they can sit down over some beignets and have a conversation.
Sounds a little like James is thinking international growth of the game, which is high on Silver’s list the same way it was high on Stern’s. (Don’t be surprised if Stern gets a formal “consulting” job with the league working on international growth of the game after he retires.)
As for ideas Silver might have for LeBron… I’m not sure he’s the guy to go to on how to slice open the Pacers’ pick-and-roll defense. But you can ask.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6