Jan 28, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
He is being reevaluated in three weeks, it will be longer until he is back on the court. This is not something he can rush, not just pain he can play through — he has a fractured lateral tibial plateau and he has to wait for the bone to heal properly. Kobe said it’s been “killing” him to keep riding the stationary bike, but that’s what he is stuck with. Knowing him, he’ll be ready for the Tour de France by the time he comes back.
That three week time frame puts Kobe Bryant out for the All-Star Game, Feb. 16 in New Orleans. Which Kobe said he didn’t want to play in, anyway. The league will choose a replacement for him on the roster, the coach of the team will choose who takes his role as a starter next to Stephen Curry. (The coach is the Thunder’s Scott Brooks, so bet on James Harden getting the slot, he is a lock to be picked as a reserve by the coaches.)
The Lakers will continue to lose a lot of games during this time — the Utah Jazz are now ahead of the Lakers in the standings, and the Lakers have the sixth worst record in the NBA. What can the Lakers do about that with this banged-up roster?
“Just play hard,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said after the latest Lakers loss Tuesday, when asked about Bryant and how the team adapts. “We’ll get some guys back, the Steves (Steve Nash and Steve Blake) and (Jordan) Farmar should be back pretty soon.”
What else is he going to say?
The Lakers are headed toward plenty more losses and high draft pick. That said don’t expect Kobe to shut it down for the season to aid that process. It’s possible Kobe is done for the year, but not likely. Not if he has anything to say about it. If he can get back, he will, that is how he is made. Even if the franchise might be better long term with him out and a higher draft pick.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14