Jan 27, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while wondering why the Grammy officials thought a classical pianist with Metallica was a good idea….
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors. Turns out he can shoot the ball. Not his best day shooting but he had 23 in the first half and finished the game with 38 points on 23 shots, and that includes the dagger late in the fourth quarter. He’s going to be a lot of fun All-Star weekend.
Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks. You didn’t expect 62 again, did you? His encore included 35 points — 20 in the first half, then with the game close late he had a nice pull-up jumper, then next time down the court used a little crossover to get a layup, and that was it. The Knicks had a lead they would not surrender. Anthony had more help in this game but he helped by keeping the ball moving.
Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans. Anthony Davis looked like a guy who wants to be playing in the All-Star Game in New Orleans — he’s a guy who will be in consideration and made his case with 22 points, a career-high 19 rebounds, plus seven blocked shots against the Magic on Sunday night. He sparked the Pelicans to a needed win with that play in the paint.
Markieff Morris, Phoenix Suns. Phoenix was down 18 at the half and stormed back to get the win — he had 27 points and 15 rebounds on the night. He was aggressive on offense, as evidenced by his 12 free throws, plus on the defensive end he did a good job in the second half cutting off Kyrie Irving’s drives. The Suns don’t have this win without him.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4