Jan 27, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while wondering why the Grammy officials thought a classical pianist with Metallica was a good idea….
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors. Turns out he can shoot the ball. Not his best day shooting but he had 23 in the first half and finished the game with 38 points on 23 shots, and that includes the dagger late in the fourth quarter. He’s going to be a lot of fun All-Star weekend.
Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks. You didn’t expect 62 again, did you? His encore included 35 points — 20 in the first half, then with the game close late he had a nice pull-up jumper, then next time down the court used a little crossover to get a layup, and that was it. The Knicks had a lead they would not surrender. Anthony had more help in this game but he helped by keeping the ball moving.
Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans. Anthony Davis looked like a guy who wants to be playing in the All-Star Game in New Orleans — he’s a guy who will be in consideration and made his case with 22 points, a career-high 19 rebounds, plus seven blocked shots against the Magic on Sunday night. He sparked the Pelicans to a needed win with that play in the paint.
Markieff Morris, Phoenix Suns. Phoenix was down 18 at the half and stormed back to get the win — he had 27 points and 15 rebounds on the night. He was aggressive on offense, as evidenced by his 12 free throws, plus on the defensive end he did a good job in the second half cutting off Kyrie Irving’s drives. The Suns don’t have this win without him.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11