Jan 27, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while wondering why the Grammy officials thought a classical pianist with Metallica was a good idea….
Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors. Turns out he can shoot the ball. Not his best day shooting but he had 23 in the first half and finished the game with 38 points on 23 shots, and that includes the dagger late in the fourth quarter. He’s going to be a lot of fun All-Star weekend.
Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks. You didn’t expect 62 again, did you? His encore included 35 points — 20 in the first half, then with the game close late he had a nice pull-up jumper, then next time down the court used a little crossover to get a layup, and that was it. The Knicks had a lead they would not surrender. Anthony had more help in this game but he helped by keeping the ball moving.
Anthony Davis, New Orleans Pelicans. Anthony Davis looked like a guy who wants to be playing in the All-Star Game in New Orleans — he’s a guy who will be in consideration and made his case with 22 points, a career-high 19 rebounds, plus seven blocked shots against the Magic on Sunday night. He sparked the Pelicans to a needed win with that play in the paint.
Markieff Morris, Phoenix Suns. Phoenix was down 18 at the half and stormed back to get the win — he had 27 points and 15 rebounds on the night. He was aggressive on offense, as evidenced by his 12 free throws, plus on the defensive end he did a good job in the second half cutting off Kyrie Irving’s drives. The Suns don’t have this win without him.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 9
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15