Jan 27, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
If the Toronto Raptors are serious about making a playoff run this season they will need Kyle Lowry at the point. At 22-21 they currently lead the Atlantic Division and would be the four seed heading into the playoffs, and in the East the idea of the Raptors making the second round of the playoffs if they remain a sixth seed or higher is a reasonable one.
But being the third best team in the East this season is fool’s gold and Raptors GM Masai Ujiri knows it, he knows he needs to build long term. He also knows it is likely Lowry bolts Toronto via free agency this summer.
Which path is Toronto going to take?
Marc Stein of ESPN says other people around the league think they will be moving Lowry.
Toronto is in a good position here.
This is a franchise that hasn’t made the playoffs since 2008 and has only gone twice in the past dozen years. A playoff run, even one that just lasted one round, is something the fans would enjoy (especially since the Andrew Wiggins dream is all but dead for them). As long as Toronto keeps Lowry they are almost a lock to make the playoffs in the East (although streaking Brooklyn could catch them for the Atlantic Division lead).
And if a team does present Toronto with a good offer for Lowry, they take it and build for the future. Which is what is happening there this year whether they take a one-year detour into the postseason or not.
The bottom line, expect a lot of Lowry Trade rumors the next few weeks as we race toward the Feb. 20 trade deadline.
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 2
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 9
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 11
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49