Jan 27, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
When USA Basketball announced its pool of players being considered for the World Championships this summer (and the Rio Olympics in a couple years) the list included the best point guards in the NBA: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving, and Damian Lillard.
Wall feels snubbed.
It’s likely that Wall be named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team this week, but he is using not getting his name called by Team USA as motivation, he told the Washington Post.
“I been through it before. The main thing for me is try to be professional. I went out there and played. I did it the right way,” Wall said of his experiences with Team USA minicamp. “I just use it as more motivation. It’s nothing I could do. It’s nothing I can say, and I don’t want nobody to babysit me or try to make it work for me. They made their list, they made their decision and that’s what they’re happy with, and I just have to look past that. It’s more motivation because I didn’t make McDonald’s game. I wasn’t national player of the year. I wasn’t rookie of the year. So those are just tabs I keep to motivate myself to prove people wrong.”
Wall is skilled and putting up career numbers this season — 20.2 points per game, getting 1.9 steals and he is shooting 32.5 percent from three — but at the deepest position in the NBA right now (at least in terms of elite players) that is not enough. Wall is not better than anyone on that list (save for maybe Deron Williams when injured this season) and his three point shooting is not strong enough for the international game where that matters more.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The USA basketball pool of players is fluid, some guys will fall out, some guys will jump in. Wall could jump in. Mike Krzyzewski has put in a system where the USA tries to run and use its superior athleticism to overwhelm opponents.
Wall, who is quick with the ball, could fit into that. But he’s going to have to prove it even more on the court during the NBA season to make his case.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 66
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 15
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32