Carmelo Anthony’s wife: “I definitely think he will stay (in New York)”

Jan 27, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

Celebrity Sightings - 2013 Toronto International Film Festival Getty Images

If you ask the conspiracy theorists in Denver, La La Anthony — Carmelo Anthony’s wife — is a big reason he forced a trade to New York. The theory goes the actress and television personality wanted to get to one of the big media markets on the coast and helped push him to the Knicks.

I’m not sure I buy that — or least not as the main motivation — but if anyone knows what Anthony is thinking it should be his wife.

And she think’s he isn’t bolting The Big Apple this summer.

Here is what she said on Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live (the show I know as “what comes on after the best show on television Top Chef”), as transcribed by ESPNNewYork.com.

“I definitely think he will stay [in New York]. I know that he wants to stay and I support him wherever he wants to go,” La La Anthony said in an interview with Bravo TV’s “Watch What Happens Live.” “Listen, I used to live in Denver with him. If I can live in Denver, I can live anywhere. I just want him to be happy.”

She also shoots down the rumor she is deeply involved in the decision process.

“I get blamed for everything, no matter what happens it’s my fault,” she said. “[There are] all these talks if he’s staying in New York or not [and] I’m somehow the mastermind behind if he stays or not.”

There have been rumors going around that Anthony is looking to bolt the Knicks this summer for Chicago or Los Angeles, and with that has come the idea the Knicks need to trade him now. The Knicks aren’t looking to trade him, he’s still they guy they want to offer a max salary to and keep long term, the guy they want to build around. If he does bolt, the Lakers are lukewarm on him at best and reportedly is he would lean Chicago anyway.

Smart money is still on him staying put.

The reality is the Anthony marriage is like my marriage or your marriage: When it comes to a big decision, especially one about income and where you are going to live, you discuss it together. You may have a strong opinion, you may think the answer is obvious, but it is at least a discussion.

There is zero chance Carmelo and La La have not discussed this about this, and you can bet there will be some more serious ones once the season ends and free agency begins.

Which is to say, she probably knows which way her husband is leaning. As the Knicks’ season struggles on that thinking may change, but she clearly thinks he is staying put.

1. timb12 - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Since when is definitely thinking a thing? I’m a 100% maybe.

2. asimonetti88 - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Haha wow, she does not like Denver apparently.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:52 AM

Haha you caught that too, huh? I was thinking, man Denver ain’t so bad. Try Detroit or Cleveland. Or even Chiraq right now. Make you wish you were in Denver! Watch Melo move to Milwaukee and the marriage just fall apart!

• fanofevilempire - Jan 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM

ah,,,,,, NYC or Denver,,,,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
        get serious, Denver maybe a great place but it’s not NYC.
        maybe she is telling you that black people and Puerto Rican
        people are in the minority in skiing.

• sportsfan18 - Jan 28, 2014 at 8:03 AM

You’re exactly right evil. Between Denver and NYC, it’s no contest. Denver ALL the way.

• basketballhooper1 - Jan 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Notice how she says “I” 4 times in those 3 sentences? Talk about being a spoiled basketball wife…

• fanofevilempire - Jan 28, 2014 at 7:48 AM

do you know her?

3. chicagosports2014 - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

What was she suppose to say, Melo bolting to Chicago next season? Bogus Article!

• 00maltliquor - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I hope! I don’t want to see Melo wasted in NY. I want NY to get back up to the top of the mountain eventually, but they need a fresh re-build and do it the right way. But Mel is just wasting his time there, CHI is perfect in my opinion.

4. mackcarrington - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Someone should ask her how Kevin Garnett knows what she tastes like.

• spthegr8 - Jan 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM

@Mack
      I think we all know the answer to that question Mack!!!! We’re all adults here.

• mackcarrington - Jan 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Of course we know the answer! I would just like it to come from her own mouth!

5. azarkhan - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

“Listen, I used to live in Denver with him. If I can live in Denver, I can live anywhere.”

Wow, who knew Denver was that terrible? I hope Anthony got hardship pay while he and LaLa were suffering in Denver.

6. antistratfordian - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Happy wife, happy life.

7. tampajoey - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Trophy wives should be seen and not heard.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM

lol

8. spthegr8 - Jan 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Is La La her real name…??? Random question.

• asimonetti88 - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Alani “La La” Anthony nee Vasquez

9. El Pollo Loco - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Honey Nut Cheerios

10. scottheis82 - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Actually Mack is a 12 year old boy, haven’t you read his post… Sorry couldn’t resist…

11. tiger7575 - Jan 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

We’ve missed them so, just hasn’t been the same slime here in the Mile High City.

12. sellahh - Jan 28, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Translation: “If he want to get his, he’d better stay so I can keep doing my low level attention *****ing stuff”.

• eugenesaxe1 - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Exactly.

13. program33 - Jan 28, 2014 at 2:39 AM

I am still not convinced the big three will remain in place in Miami. If Carmelo finds a way to play with Lebron that would catch his attention. Otherwise I believe that he will stay in New York.

14. drago2012 - Jan 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM

That is just great news, we plain and simple don’t want him in Chicago. Coach Thibs would slit his wrists if that ever happens or just go to New York and leave Chicago. He is just a volume shooter who plays no defense, sort of like having two Boozers. He can go to the West coast somewhere like LA , where they play no defense, just run and gun style.

• homieshome - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Lol that is so untrue. Hers seriously not bad at all on defense. Theres a difference between not being a good defender and being a defensive liability. A defensive liabiklity means he actually harms you on defense and Melo does not do that. His defense doesnt standout to be bad or hurt us in any way, it just doesnt help us. But hes gotten so much better at rebounding on defense. Im telling you, his defense is not a concern.

15. drago2012 - Jan 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I think Melo and his wife have been in the LaLa land!!

16. homieshome - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I only hope they don’t say this now then leave later and we get nothing in return. But i hope he stays, Amare has been the biggest title-block and once his contract is over for good and we put that 21-million to real use, we can get Melo some legit talent, starting at the PG spot.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches