Tony Snell’s mom sounds awesome

Jan 26, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Ateve Alford, Tony Snell

Kobe Bryant covered this already, the college-basketball system isn’t great for players. Run as a cartel, the NCAA often forces players into tough and unfair situations.

Tony Snell found himself in one of those situations last year.

Having played three years at New Mexico, Snell was ready to turn pro. His coach, Steve Alford, was not ready for that.

In a wonderful story about Snell’s tight-knit relationship with his mother, Sherika Brown, Daniel Libit of ChicagoSide captures one instance that bond showed:

According to Brown, when Alford heard Snell was leaning to the NBA, he angrily called a meeting with player and mother.

“Alford, of course, is a control freak and he is mad as hell and he wants a meeting with me to know what I am doing with Tony,” Brown says.

“We were having a screaming match, him literally telling me he is not going anywhere, saying ‘What if he doesn’t make it?’ First of all, I have a positive attitude. I am a woman of God. I believe in prayer. I have had (Snell’s) back since day one.… I don’t care if he goes first or second round, or if he goes overseas, we are going to take that chance.”

Brown inferred selfish motives in Alford’s efforts . Alford was the brand-name player, the white All-American with the charmed high school and college careers. He played his senior year at Indiana and ended up getting drafted in the second round.

“I called him a [m***f*****] at the time,” says Brown.

“My attitude was: I know it’s a gamble, a big gamble, and sometimes you might not make it,” says Brown. “But we were adamant that we were fine with going in the second round or [playing] overseas.”

Did Alford have Snell’s best interests in mind? Or did the coach just want to keep his best player in order to win more and secure a larger contract? Snell knows as much as can be known, and that’s the problem:

“I have no idea,” says Snell. “That is the question that is going to be unanswered, but he made his move and I wish him the best.”

Snell, of course, did go pro and was the No. 20 pick by the Chicago Bulls. He’s now playing in a league where coaches don’t last unless they treat their players with respect.

As for Alford, he jumped from New Mexico to UCLA just after agreeing to a 10-year contract, a move that followed Alford leaving Iowa for New Mexico under a could of controversy.

In college, it seems only the coaches are allowed upward mobility.

In the NBA, everyone has a great control of their own future.

If Snell’s coach, Tom Thibodeau, wants to coach the Knicks, Thibodeau can make that happen in due time.

In a couple years, Snell will be a free agent, and he’ll have greater power of his future, too. And – if you read all of Libit’s article, as you should – you also know Snell will have his mother at his side during that process, too.

1. chiadam - Jan 26, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Alford is a disgusting pig piece of excrement. Now, most college coaches are slime. They lie, manipulate, cheat, steal, lie some more and then lie. Theirs is the word of God. But Alford is a planet of filth unto himself.

2. savvybynature - Jan 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Completely agree. I’m always hearing people argue that these men should be forced to go to college because it is better for them, yet so many times that just isn’t the case.
    How many times have we seen guys forced to play out of position to help their team win, when they don’t have a future at that position. Whether due to injury, a lack of recruiting success or just bad roster management, I’ve seen guys 6′ 6″ playing center instead of developing the skills needed to pursue their dream. In many cases it’s about the school making money and the coach making money, not about player development.

3. jimtron11 - Jan 26, 2014 at 8:57 PM

This is your number-one story? Really?

• spursareold - Jan 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM

??? They don’t rank the stories. The newest one is on top, at least until another story comes along.

4. blazermaniac22 - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Who would want to coach the Knicks? Certainly not a respectable coach like Thibs.. That franchise is a dumpster fire

5. magicfanintn - Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Juxtaposition.

” I am a woman of God. I believe in prayer.”

“I called him a [m***f*****] at the time,” says Brown.

• pfic15 - Jan 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Yep. Gotta love the best examples. She didn’t specify which god though…

• belleby123 - Jan 27, 2014 at 9:01 AM

What’s the problem? She probably prayed that she’d stop calling him that.

• davidly - Jan 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Well, unless I am mistaken, the Christian God is said to have impregnated Christ’s mother, therefore…

• pfic15 - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Sarcasm….

6. fearthehoody - Jan 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Go Bruins! And I read this story 6 days ago somewhere else

7. azarkhan - Jan 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

“I called him a [m***f*****] at the time,” says Brown.

Oh yeah, she sounds like a real gem. Of course, she probably knows all about m***f******, having had a few herself.

8. melvinjdaniels - Jan 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I wish she would have called me for an opinion; i would have told her that he would be picked up exactly at that position, and that he would have a hard start would would integrate well in short time, i think he has a Paul george upside. :)

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches