Jan 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
- The same Terrence Ross who went more than three weeks earlier this season without scoring 51 combined points?
- The same Terrence Ross who had scored fewer points than J.J. Redick this season entering Saturday despite playing 18 more games than Redick?
- The same Terrence Ross who began the night averaging 9.3 points per game?
That’s the one.
Ross’ career game boosted his season scoring average to 10.2, but that’s still historically low for a 50-point scorer.
There have been 307 50-point games since 1963-64, as far back as Basketball-Reference’s records go. Nobody – not Tony Delk, not Willie Burton – had a lower season average the year of a 50-point game than Ross.
To see how big an outlier Ross is, here are the other 306 50-point games, sorted by the season scoring average of each player. Ross’ points per game are represented by the horizontal red bar – the bar that every vertical line representing a previous 50-point game clears.
Since the Raptors traded Rudy Gay, Ross has started, and his role within the offense has expanded. He’s not a lock to remain the 50-point scorer with the lowest season average.
Ross could definitely catch at least Delk, who averaged 12.3 points per game in 2000-01, when he dropped 53 on the Sacramento Kings.
But it’s hardly a given Ross will get there.
How far back is he? He could score 51 in each of his next two games, and he would still trail Delk.
May 26, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT
This one was over early.
May 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Injury issues continue to pile up as Atlanta is on the verge of elimination.
Storms in Houston forced Dwight Howard to remain at arena with fans until 2:30AM after Game 4 win over Warriors
May 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Severe flooding in the area had fans — and at least one player — stranded.
May 26, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
May 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Inconsistent ruling, but a good one for the Rockets.
May 26, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Curry reported no symptoms after the game or on Tuesday, which means expect the regular Curry back for Game 5 Wednesday night.
May 26, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
There is no timeline but this could impact training camp and the start of next season.
May 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
If he’s used in the aging shooter role on the court and veteran locker room presence off it, bringing him back for another season for a few million makes sense.
May 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
We talk flagrant fouls — the NBA has to find some consistency.
May 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
May 26, 2015, 3:59 PM EDT
Would the league really upgrade a foul and bench a star player in an elimination game?
May 26, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Not that it will be enough to get the Hawks a win.
May 26, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
The Nets just do not have good rebuilding options going forward.
May 26, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Minnesota’s Zach LaVine has spent the early part of his offseason working on increasing his vertical… wait, what?
May 26, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Will Nuggets sell low?
May 26, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
How and why?
May 26, 2015, 12:10 PM EDT
Pay up, Cleveland
May 26, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Mohammed, 37, already one of NBA’s oldest players
May 26, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Is Chicago really that petty?
May 26, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 4
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 4
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 16
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6