Defending dunk-contest champion Terrence Ross names his desired challengers: Tony Mitchell, Andre Drummond and Victor Oladipo
Jan 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The man who can do this probably knows a little something about dunking:
Specifically though, the first name that Ross came up with in terms of guys he would like to see challenge him was Detroit’s Tony Mitchell.Now Mitchell isn’t exactly a household name in the NBA yet, but then again neither was Ross a year ago when he won.“In my opinion, if he gets in it he’ll be in the position I was in last year,” Ross said. “Nobody kind of knows he can dunk, I mean they know he can dunk, but they don’t know what he can do. I know he’s a freak athlete from what I’ve heard.”
That would be a pretty fun dunk contest.
Mitchell has played just 37 minutes during his rookie year, but he proved his dunking bona fides before the season even started:
Drummond is more of a, relatively, questionable choice. He’s mostly a no-nonsense dunker in games. His biggest highlight – an off-the-backboard finish on a lob from Brandon Jennings – was more impressive due to Jennings’ pass than Drummond’s finish, and that was before an (unscientific) increase in off-the-backboard lobs this season became apparent. Drummond also dunked on Chris Brown once, so I guess there’s that.
Perhaps lacking slightly in resume, Drummond has incredible size and athleticism. The potential is definitely there for a fantastic dunk-contest showing.
Oladipo is probably the best choice of the bunch.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 2
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 4
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31