Defending dunk-contest champion Terrence Ross names his desired challengers: Tony Mitchell, Andre Drummond and Victor Oladipo
Jan 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The man who can do this probably knows a little something about dunking:
Specifically though, the first name that Ross came up with in terms of guys he would like to see challenge him was Detroit’s Tony Mitchell.Now Mitchell isn’t exactly a household name in the NBA yet, but then again neither was Ross a year ago when he won.“In my opinion, if he gets in it he’ll be in the position I was in last year,” Ross said. “Nobody kind of knows he can dunk, I mean they know he can dunk, but they don’t know what he can do. I know he’s a freak athlete from what I’ve heard.”
That would be a pretty fun dunk contest.
Mitchell has played just 37 minutes during his rookie year, but he proved his dunking bona fides before the season even started:
Drummond is more of a, relatively, questionable choice. He’s mostly a no-nonsense dunker in games. His biggest highlight – an off-the-backboard finish on a lob from Brandon Jennings – was more impressive due to Jennings’ pass than Drummond’s finish, and that was before an (unscientific) increase in off-the-backboard lobs this season became apparent. Drummond also dunked on Chris Brown once, so I guess there’s that.
Perhaps lacking slightly in resume, Drummond has incredible size and athleticism. The potential is definitely there for a fantastic dunk-contest showing.
Oladipo is probably the best choice of the bunch.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32