Jan 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
LeBron James will not be part of Team USA this summer when it heads off to Spain to try and earn a berth in the 2016 Rio Olympics (winner of the World Championships automatically qualifies). After three straight trips to the Finals for the Heat, plus the London Olympics in that mix, LeBron is taking a summer off.
One way or another, team USA will be in Rio — but LeBron isn’t sure yet if he will be with them.
He is in the pool of players considered for the games, which was released by USA Basketball Thursday. But LeBron told Fox Sports Florida he’s not sure is he will play in Brazil in 2016.
“I don’t know where I stand for 2016,” James said before Thursday night’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers. “Obviously, if I’m healthy in 2016 that summer, if I can get to leading our country by playing, then that would be great to be a part of that.
“But I can’t commit to it right now.”
LeBron has been to the last three Olympics for the USA, picking up a Bronze in Athens and golds in Beijing and London.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If he gets a third gold he would have more than any other USA Basketball player in history — Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and others have two, but not three. For a guy at the point in his career where he is trying to define his legacy, that could be a real motivation.
But it’s too early for him to commit right now.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson swap 0
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 13
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36