Jan 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
LeBron James will not be part of Team USA this summer when it heads off to Spain to try and earn a berth in the 2016 Rio Olympics (winner of the World Championships automatically qualifies). After three straight trips to the Finals for the Heat, plus the London Olympics in that mix, LeBron is taking a summer off.
One way or another, team USA will be in Rio — but LeBron isn’t sure yet if he will be with them.
He is in the pool of players considered for the games, which was released by USA Basketball Thursday. But LeBron told Fox Sports Florida he’s not sure is he will play in Brazil in 2016.
“I don’t know where I stand for 2016,” James said before Thursday night’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers. “Obviously, if I’m healthy in 2016 that summer, if I can get to leading our country by playing, then that would be great to be a part of that.
“But I can’t commit to it right now.”
LeBron has been to the last three Olympics for the USA, picking up a Bronze in Athens and golds in Beijing and London.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If he gets a third gold he would have more than any other USA Basketball player in history — Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and others have two, but not three. For a guy at the point in his career where he is trying to define his legacy, that could be a real motivation.
But it’s too early for him to commit right now.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 17
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 25
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2