Jan 24, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
If the NBA coaches and players were voting for who got to be an All-Star Game starter, LaMarcus Aldridge would be a lock in the West.
But the fans wanted to see other guys (Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin and Kevin Love is your West starting frontcourt) so Aldridge will again be selected by the coaches (he’s been an All-Star the last two years).
He’s used to it, but told Ben Golliver of Blazers Edge he thinks he should have been a starter.
“I’ve kind of gotten used to those things happening,” Aldridge told Blazersedge afterwards, when asked about missing out on a starting spot. “Everybody around me was more upset than me. I came in tonight and [Nicolas Batum] was pretty fired up about it. My mom was pretty heated about it. Me, I was like, ‘OK, this is happening again….
“I think I definitely should have been a starter,” Aldridge told Blazersedge. “But it’s over with now, basically.”
More than basically (barring injury to a starter). Even in the unlikely event Kobe Bryant is let out of his obligations as he hopes, he would most likely be replaced as a starter by a guard (most likely James Harden), although a year ago Erik Spoelstra replaced Rajon Rondo with Chris Bosh. And it’s possible Portland’s Terry Stotts is the Western Conference coach (he or Scott Brooks will get the honors).
Is it fair Aldridge wasn’t a starter? Life’s not fair. But more and more people are coming around to the fact that Aldridge is the best (or at least arguably the best) power forward in the game. Aldridge took out his frustrations by dropping 44 points on the Nuggets Thursday night.
If Portland can make a playoff run this season, get to the second round at least if not farther, his star will shine bright on a bigger stage. That’s the first step. Not many people are seeing the Trail Blazers play (which is too bad, they are one of the league’s most entertaining teams) but that will change come the playoffs. Then again with the national television schedule for next season.
Maybe then he gets more fan votes. Maybe. But he seems okay with all this.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11