Jan 24, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
Now Irving wants to defend that title, he told Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal (hat tip to Matt Moore at Eye on Basketball).
If Irving really wants to follow in Bird’s footsteps he should walk into the locker room before this year’s contest and ask everyone else “Which one of you &$%@#*^ is coming in second?”
It’s going to be interesting to see who is in this year’s contest. Everyone is hoping Stephen Curry and/or Klay Thompson enter for Golden State, beyond that Kyle Korver, Marco Belinelli, Bradley Beal and others would make an interesting lineup.
We’ll see who besides Irving accepts an invitation. The Three Point Shootout will be part of All-Star Saturday night (along with the Skills Competition, the Dunk Contest and more) on Jan. 15 in New Orleans. The All-Star Game is the next day.
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 3
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 9
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15