Jan 24, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
With Westbrook already sidelined with a knee injury, a sore shoulder will prevent Durant from playing tonight against the Boston Celtics.
“It’s going to be weird,” Kendrick Perkins said.
Thunder coach Scott Brooks wouldn’t speculate whether Durant will miss more than tonight’s game, but he said Perry Jones will start in Durant’s place.
Oklahoma City has been worse offensively, better defensively and only slightly worse overall with Durant on the bench this season, but those Durant-less minutes were obviously carefully chosen. The Thunder’s starting lineup tonight – Reggie Jackson, Thabo Sefolosha, Jones, Serge Ibaka and Perkins – has played just two minutes together this season.
“We have more than enough to compete,” Brooks said. “An old coach of mine, ‘All you need is five.’ And we have five guys.”
This is Jones’ third-career start, his second in place of Durant. In Oklahoma City’s final regular-season game last year, Jones had 14 points and nine rebounds as Durant rested.
“It’s his chance to show us, the coaches and the rest of the NBA what he can do,” Perkins said of Jones.
But Perkins also offered a warning.
“When one of your leaders goes out like Kevin who’s been averaging all these points, everybody thinks they’ve got to step up,” Perkins said. “No, the thing is you just do what you do, but do it a little bit better. So, that doesn’t mean go out and take more shots and stuff like that. It means run your offense harder. It means play better defense. Just give yourself a chance.”
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29