Jan 24, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
There is no more talked about mascot than Pierre the Pelican.
New Orleans change to the Pelican nickname drew raised eyebrows around parts of the nation but it played well in Louisiana, it was seen as a symbol of something local rather than imposed on them (Hornets).
But when the mascot Pierre was unveiled… let’s admit up front that is a nightmare fuel face. It’s scary in the way clowns are scary. On its surface it’s not meant to be, the bird is supposed to be smiling and he does fun tricks, but it’s just creepy.
Which brings us to this bit of news from the leading reporter on all things mascot (not to mention brilliant at the basketball stuff), Zach Lowe of Grantland:
Real mascot news: Hearing Pellies are re-designing Pierre's head to make him "less scary," hopefully by All-Star weekend in New Orleans.—
Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) January 22, 2014
A kinder, gentler Pierre the Pelican.
Since that mascot is going to be everywhere for a few days (mascots get a nice showcase at the All-Star Game), let’s hope it gets done. We don’t want children watching at home to think Pelicans are scary. Only clowns are scary.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 26
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6