Jan 24, 2014, 1:32 PM EST
There is no more talked about mascot than Pierre the Pelican.
New Orleans change to the Pelican nickname drew raised eyebrows around parts of the nation but it played well in Louisiana, it was seen as a symbol of something local rather than imposed on them (Hornets).
But when the mascot Pierre was unveiled… let’s admit up front that is a nightmare fuel face. It’s scary in the way clowns are scary. On its surface it’s not meant to be, the bird is supposed to be smiling and he does fun tricks, but it’s just creepy.
Which brings us to this bit of news from the leading reporter on all things mascot (not to mention brilliant at the basketball stuff), Zach Lowe of Grantland:
A kinder, gentler Pierre the Pelican.
Since that mascot is going to be everywhere for a few days (mascots get a nice showcase at the All-Star Game), let’s hope it gets done. We don’t want children watching at home to think Pelicans are scary. Only clowns are scary.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9