Jan 24, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
There is no more talked about mascot than Pierre the Pelican.
New Orleans change to the Pelican nickname drew raised eyebrows around parts of the nation but it played well in Louisiana, it was seen as a symbol of something local rather than imposed on them (Hornets).
But when the mascot Pierre was unveiled… let’s admit up front that is a nightmare fuel face. It’s scary in the way clowns are scary. On its surface it’s not meant to be, the bird is supposed to be smiling and he does fun tricks, but it’s just creepy.
Which brings us to this bit of news from the leading reporter on all things mascot (not to mention brilliant at the basketball stuff), Zach Lowe of Grantland:
A kinder, gentler Pierre the Pelican.
Since that mascot is going to be everywhere for a few days (mascots get a nice showcase at the All-Star Game), let’s hope it gets done. We don’t want children watching at home to think Pelicans are scary. Only clowns are scary.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50