Jan 23, 2014, 4:30 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while getting absorbed in the “Swingers” oral history….
Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder. Twitter has dubbed him the “Slim Reaper” and I, for one, like the new nickname. He dropped 36 points tonight on the Spurs, including a couple of clutch threes late and rather than having me rave about him here is what other NBA players tweeted on Wednesday night.
DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors. Somebody is making their All-Star case — 40 points on 22 shots. That would be a career high. What’s most impressive was he was 7-of-11 from the midrange (and 7-of-10) in the paint. DeRozan is likely going to end up one of those bubble guys who just misses making the All-Star team cut (could happen to his teammate Kyle Lowry, too) but this was the kind of “I should get an invite” game he needs.
Josh Smith, Detroit Pistons. I don’t want to pile on just Smith, because the issues with the Pistons offense run much deeper. Still, Smith was not good Wednesday night 2-of-10 shooting on his way to eight points. But it wasn’t just his play it was the timing — he had the chance to hit free throws and make it a one point game, and him missed both. Down just a couple late he turned the ball over. He was frustrating.
Jeff Green, Boston Celtics. When he is good, he can be very, very good. And for a night Green was good. He had 39 points on the night, including a ridiculous one-legged three pointer that tied the game late, sending it to overtime against Washington (where Boston won). It wasn’t just that shot — Green was 14-of-26 shooting and had a host of off-balance shots fall. He was making plays at both ends adding three steals to the mix, also.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4