Lance Stephenson to appeal fine for flopping, blames ‘slippery floor’ for his fall

Jan 23, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Lance Stephenson became the third player to be fined for flopping this season, but he believes his second infraction — the one seen in the video clip above that occurred earlier this week against the Golden State Warriors — wasn’t a flop at all.

From Candace Buckner of the Indianapolis Star:

“I don’t feel like I flopped on that possession, it was very slippery on the floor,” said Stephenson, the Pacers’ starting guard. “When I ran into him, he pushed me and I tried to catch my ground and I slipped. I would’ve held my ground if it wasn’t slippery, but it was definitely slippery, so I’m definitely going to fight for that.” …

“I’m definitely going to get my money back on that. I wasn’t flopping on that. The other one was a flop, when I ran out of bounds,” Stephenson said, referring to his exaggerated fall Jan. 7 against the Toronto Raptors.

Stephenson may actually have a point on this one.

While he may have exaggerated the contact with Klay Thompson with his upper body, it does indeed look like he slipped and fell a bit awkwardly on the play.

Given the small amount involved, however, along with the fact that the league really is trying to clean this part of the game up, expect the fine to stand.

1. misremembered72 - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:59 AM

the nba is doing a terrible job if they’re geniunely trying to get rid of flopping from the NBA.
    Alright brace yourself for a tangent.
    I play basketball in a neighborhood league in Philly it’s people age 20-30. I’m a taller guy so I usually play in the post and I’ll get position on a guy on defense before he even gets the ball and at first if he lowered his shoulder and went straight into me to try to knock me back I’d just fall down if he put some serious force into it. I’d say i did this a solid 5 times where the offensive player was clearly trying to go through me and I’d fall back but not once did i ever get the charge call (usually no call). in fact i dont remember ever seeing a charge call the whole year. Everyone thinks everything is a flop because of the nba so i just learned to brace myself and deal as much back as i could without making it look like a foul. I blame this entirely on the nba because you got lebron james falling down when somebody like brandon jennings starts backing him down. I’d rather the nba just stop calling blocks and charges unless its blatant instead of every block and charge interupting the flow of the game and being a judgment call for the refs.

2. norcalkingsfan - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM

He clearly picked up his own feet.

You did it, just own it, Lance.

3. davidly - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I commented this issue on the “Monday Night Grades” thread (that took two days to get approved and posted by PBT). This was one of too many times to count that a player from either team slipped and fell to the court. At any rate, there have been flops that are more certain than this one and others I have seen that got warnings that the league would seem to be ignoring.

4. cosme27 - Jan 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM

This guy, tony and ginobli are in the top ten floppers list

5. miamatt - Jan 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Whether or not it was a flop, Stephenson has lost the benefit of the doubt in these matters.

Would we accept an “I slipped” explanation from Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers, or LeBron James? Nope.

Welcome to the club, Lance.

6. mrbiz8505 - Jan 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Liar

7. belleby123 - Jan 24, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I think Lance might be right. The video does look like his feet came right out from under him. Flops are usually with the feet planted.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches