Jan 23, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
We mocked Andrea Bargnani‘s ability to finish this dunk earlier in the day, but now this is not so funny for an already banged up Knicks team.
The injury occurred on that failed dunk above.
Bargnani has played in every Knicks game up to this point and has put up decent numbers — 13.3 points a game, and he’s played some nice man defense in the post at times. He has a PER of 14.5, just below the league average.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Mike Woodson has had this great desire to go big, with Tyson Chandler, Bargnani and Carmelo Anthony playing together despite all evidence that this combination doesn’t work — the Knicks are -8.1 points per 48 minutes in the 189 minutes that trip has played this season. Woodson started them last night, the Sixers went on a 13-0 first quarter run when they were all still on the court.
Now, Woodson has to play Anthony at the four, which is the spot he thrived last season. Plus, the Knicks defense is their biggest issue right now and Bargnani’s help rotations are as bad as his reputation. It’s not that there might not be a role for Bargnani that works on the Knicks, but it is not paired with Anthony.
The Knicks are home for their next five games.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10