Jan 23, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
We mocked Andrea Bargnani‘s ability to finish this dunk earlier in the day, but now this is not so funny for an already banged up Knicks team.
An MRI to A.Bargnani’s l. elbow revealed a torn ligament.The injury occurred last night vs 76ers at 2:40 in 3rd qtr. He is out indefinitely.—
(@NY_KnicksPR) January 23, 2014
The injury occurred on that failed dunk above.
Bargnani has played in every Knicks game up to this point and has put up decent numbers — 13.3 points a game, and he’s played some nice man defense in the post at times. He has a PER of 14.5, just below the league average.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Mike Woodson has had this great desire to go big, with Tyson Chandler, Bargnani and Carmelo Anthony playing together despite all evidence that this combination doesn’t work — the Knicks are -8.1 points per 48 minutes in the 189 minutes that trip has played this season. Woodson started them last night, the Sixers went on a 13-0 first quarter run when they were all still on the court.
Now, Woodson has to play Anthony at the four, which is the spot he thrived last season. Plus, the Knicks defense is their biggest issue right now and Bargnani’s help rotations are as bad as his reputation. It’s not that there might not be a role for Bargnani that works on the Knicks, but it is not paired with Anthony.
The Knicks are home for their next five games.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 12
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 20
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42