Jan 23, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
We mocked Andrea Bargnani‘s ability to finish this dunk earlier in the day, but now this is not so funny for an already banged up Knicks team.
An MRI to A.Bargnani’s l. elbow revealed a torn ligament.The injury occurred last night vs 76ers at 2:40 in 3rd qtr. He is out indefinitely.—
(@NY_KnicksPR) January 23, 2014
The injury occurred on that failed dunk above.
Bargnani has played in every Knicks game up to this point and has put up decent numbers — 13.3 points a game, and he’s played some nice man defense in the post at times. He has a PER of 14.5, just below the league average.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Mike Woodson has had this great desire to go big, with Tyson Chandler, Bargnani and Carmelo Anthony playing together despite all evidence that this combination doesn’t work — the Knicks are -8.1 points per 48 minutes in the 189 minutes that trip has played this season. Woodson started them last night, the Sixers went on a 13-0 first quarter run when they were all still on the court.
Now, Woodson has to play Anthony at the four, which is the spot he thrived last season. Plus, the Knicks defense is their biggest issue right now and Bargnani’s help rotations are as bad as his reputation. It’s not that there might not be a role for Bargnani that works on the Knicks, but it is not paired with Anthony.
The Knicks are home for their next five games.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 0
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5