Jan 23, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
Since Al Horford went down for the season the Hawks have leaned pretty heavily on rookie Pero Antic — and he’s been solid. In the last three games he’s averaged better than 12 points and 7 rebounds playing at least 23 minutes a night, and on the season he is shooting 36.7 percent from three. While he’s no Horford he’s a rotation player who is going to get better with more time on the court.
Now the Hawks are going to be without him for 2-4 weeks due to a stress fracture in his ankle, the Hawks announced Thursday.
Atlanta Hawks forward/center Pero Antic suffered a mild right ankle sprain against the Brooklyn Nets in London on Jan. 16. X-rays taken following the game were negative and he continued to play without missing games. An MRI and examination today by Dr. Ashok Reddy at Peachtree Orthopedics in Atlanta revealed a stress fracture to his right ankle. He will now be placed in a protective walking boot.
Just to add to the fun, Atlanta forward DeMarre Carroll has a strained hamstring and is day-to-day.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is going to mean more Elton Brand and Gustavo Ayon for the Hawks, while Paul Millsap — already having the kind of season that has him as a potential All-Star — is going to have to take on more scoring and offense.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12