Jan 23, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Since Al Horford went down for the season the Hawks have leaned pretty heavily on rookie Pero Antic — and he’s been solid. In the last three games he’s averaged better than 12 points and 7 rebounds playing at least 23 minutes a night, and on the season he is shooting 36.7 percent from three. While he’s no Horford he’s a rotation player who is going to get better with more time on the court.
Now the Hawks are going to be without him for 2-4 weeks due to a stress fracture in his ankle, the Hawks announced Thursday.
Atlanta Hawks forward/center Pero Antic suffered a mild right ankle sprain against the Brooklyn Nets in London on Jan. 16. X-rays taken following the game were negative and he continued to play without missing games. An MRI and examination today by Dr. Ashok Reddy at Peachtree Orthopedics in Atlanta revealed a stress fracture to his right ankle. He will now be placed in a protective walking boot.
Just to add to the fun, Atlanta forward DeMarre Carroll has a strained hamstring and is day-to-day.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is going to mean more Elton Brand and Gustavo Ayon for the Hawks, while Paul Millsap — already having the kind of season that has him as a potential All-Star — is going to have to take on more scoring and offense.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 6
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43