Jan 23, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
Since Al Horford went down for the season the Hawks have leaned pretty heavily on rookie Pero Antic — and he’s been solid. In the last three games he’s averaged better than 12 points and 7 rebounds playing at least 23 minutes a night, and on the season he is shooting 36.7 percent from three. While he’s no Horford he’s a rotation player who is going to get better with more time on the court.
Now the Hawks are going to be without him for 2-4 weeks due to a stress fracture in his ankle, the Hawks announced Thursday.
Atlanta Hawks forward/center Pero Antic suffered a mild right ankle sprain against the Brooklyn Nets in London on Jan. 16. X-rays taken following the game were negative and he continued to play without missing games. An MRI and examination today by Dr. Ashok Reddy at Peachtree Orthopedics in Atlanta revealed a stress fracture to his right ankle. He will now be placed in a protective walking boot.
Just to add to the fun, Atlanta forward DeMarre Carroll has a strained hamstring and is day-to-day.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is going to mean more Elton Brand and Gustavo Ayon for the Hawks, while Paul Millsap — already having the kind of season that has him as a potential All-Star — is going to have to take on more scoring and offense.
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, leaves dent (VIDEO) 0
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 5
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 5
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29