Jan 23, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Since Al Horford went down for the season the Hawks have leaned pretty heavily on rookie Pero Antic — and he’s been solid. In the last three games he’s averaged better than 12 points and 7 rebounds playing at least 23 minutes a night, and on the season he is shooting 36.7 percent from three. While he’s no Horford he’s a rotation player who is going to get better with more time on the court.
Now the Hawks are going to be without him for 2-4 weeks due to a stress fracture in his ankle, the Hawks announced Thursday.
Atlanta Hawks forward/center Pero Antic suffered a mild right ankle sprain against the Brooklyn Nets in London on Jan. 16. X-rays taken following the game were negative and he continued to play without missing games. An MRI and examination today by Dr. Ashok Reddy at Peachtree Orthopedics in Atlanta revealed a stress fracture to his right ankle. He will now be placed in a protective walking boot.
Just to add to the fun, Atlanta forward DeMarre Carroll has a strained hamstring and is day-to-day.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday’s NBA games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This is going to mean more Elton Brand and Gustavo Ayon for the Hawks, while Paul Millsap — already having the kind of season that has him as a potential All-Star — is going to have to take on more scoring and offense.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 37
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20