Today is anniversary of Kobe’s 81 point game, why not relive it? (VIDEO)

Jan 22, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT

It was Jan. 22, 2006. The Lakers were actually struggling against the Toronto Raptors, trailing by 14 at the half on their home court. This was a Lakers team that started Kwame Brown and Smush Parker (I still say getting this team to the playoffs was one of Phil Jackson’s great coaching jobs), so if they wanted scoring they could turn to Kobe Bryant and… basically just Kobe Bryant.

So Kobe decided to put the Lakers on his back and carry them offensively — to the tune of 81 points.

It was a legendary game, and what makes it special is this wasn’t fluff, garbage-time points at the end of the game — if Kobe doesn’t take over this game the Lakers lose.

Enjoy this trip down memory lane. Unless you’re a Raptors’ fan, then sorry.

1. asimonetti88 - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I had put all memories of Kwame Brown as a Laker out of my mind until now… but that was such a great game. Another classic KB8 moment

2. antistratfordian - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I’d rather not. This basketball atrocity spawned a generation of young ballers who also wanted to play the game the wrong way. We may need to do with this what Thutmose III tried to do with the memory of Hatshepsut – for the benefit of the children.

• musician0785 - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM

A player on a team full of scrubs brought them bacl to a win a game….what a travesty…..troll

• spthegr8 - Jan 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM

@anti
        Apparently you do wanna re-live it. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have taken the time out of your busy schedule ( sarcastic font ) to stop and “troll” the article!!

• money2long - Jan 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM

hahaha. perfect reply.

3. jzone954 - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM

OG

4. pbtunpaidwriter - Jan 22, 2014 at 5:04 PM

This was on a Sunday night. I’ll never forget this. I was in high school and didn’t have League Pass. I remember looking at the box score in disbelief as he was scoring like crazy. The numbers just looked so strange they jumped off the screen.

The next day we were talking about it in class and my friend didn’t believe Kobe scored 81. Then I showed him a newspaper that was lying around and his jaw dropped.

5. conjecture101 - Jan 22, 2014 at 7:13 PM

This narrative about this Lakers team is nonsense. Tracy Mcgrady & Allen Iverson took far worse supporting casts to the playoffs. Kwame Brown at this point was a better defensive Center than at least half the Center’s in the league right now. T-Mac would’ve loved to have an Odom caliber player on his Orlando squads after Hill got hurt and they dumped Mike Miller for lesser talent.

• conjecture101 - Jan 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM

that being said, it should not take away from the absolutely incredible individual performance that Kobe displayed in this game. Truly Amazing, and something that less then a handful of players in NBA history could have pulled off.

6. notoriousbri - Jan 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM

And this once great player has only 2 more points this season total (83 ) through his teams first 42 games. Averaging a whopping 13.8 PPG .

All hate aside Kobe is the 8th best player I have ever seen live.

• kb2408 - Jan 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM

8th?! If we’re ranking players regardless of position, Kobe is top 5.

• sportsfan18 - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Kobe’s isn’t even top 10.

1 MJ
        2 Wilt
        3 Kareem
        4 Magic
        5 Bird
        6 Bill Russell
        7 The Big O
        8 Shaq
        9 Tim Duncan
        10 LBJ

• notoriousbri - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM

regardless of position these players ( in no particular order are all better than KOBE) remember these are the ones I have seen live..in person..

Jordan
        Bird
        Magic
        Kareem
        Shaq
        Lebron
        Duncan

• money2long - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

did magic call kobe the greatest laker of all time at some point ?

7. jakesrage17 - Jan 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Epic

8. 00maltliquor - Jan 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Kobe’s 81>Wilt’s 100

• money2long - Jan 22, 2014 at 8:36 PM

this is true.

• spthegr8 - Jan 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

@Malt & Money
        B-I-N-G-O….. B-I-N-G-O………B-I-N-G-O…… & BINGO was her Name-O!! Just wanted to sing the song but I agree also..LLS!!!

• kb2408 - Jan 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

True indeed…

• kingtotz - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:24 AM

hmmmm..

Then how about MJs 63points at Boston (the best defensive team in that year ’86) during the PLAYOFFS?

• sportsfan18 - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Really?

Kobe and Wilt BOTH shot over 50%.

Kobe and Wilt BOTH shot well from the line.

Kobe had 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals & 3 turn overs.

Wilt had 25 rebounds and 2 assists.

So he same amount of assists, Wilt had 19 more points and gobs more boards.

Kobe’s 81 pt game is not better than what Wilt did in his 100 point game.

9. kb2408 - Jan 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

One of the most incredible things I’ve ever seen in professional sports. I, for one, will shed a few tears when the great Kobe Bean Bryant hangs up his LAKERS jersey for the very last time.

10. walterwhite1976 - Jan 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Kobe’s 81<Jordan's 63 in Double OT. Vs Celtics. Of Course, he did score 69 vs the Cavs as well…

11. kclanton80 - Jan 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM

not a bit of defense was played on this night

• money2long - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM

raptors coach admitted at the end of the game he used every form of defense in the book that night.
      of course you didn’t do any research when making your comment because you let your brain automatically compute 81 points=no defense.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Great offense beats great defense every time. Give props where props are due.

12. billtetley53 - Jan 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Hey look, the shartstain is back! KB2408,alias lakerluver.

A 40 year old man is going to shed a tear when another man retires? Ick.

I see your posting is just as worthless as it was the last time you dared show yourself on here. Here I was hoping you took the cowards way out …..

I’m actually surprised that you’re here with your lakers stinking so badly.

Hate to say I told you so, no, wait I don’t. I predicted this train wreck.

I’m a lakers fan now though, want Kobe to lift them right out of the lottery.

Malt, you were blasted out of the water once already on the Wilt vs. Kobe argument, are you just a glutton for punishment? Don’t be a sausage wallet like your pal lakerslurper, you’re better than that.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM

LOL!

Sausage wallet…hehehe.

• 00maltliquor - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM

TOLD YOU!
        (Not that you can see my response comment that I predicted like Nostradamus that it would get blocked. I swear I can never back myself up on this site.)

• 00maltliquor - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM

And I didn’t get blasted out the water. I just made a VERY unpopular comment with some of the choice words I used. Look now, I’m saying the same exact thing and I’m currently at 29-6 (if thumbs up/down even matter) after I simplified it without any commentary.

Honestly, the Kobe haters like yourself and many others are going to try to discredit Kobe to no end and the ones who really think about it are gonna say the 81’s better. I mean look at how hard the hate goes, look above and there’s some goober saying that Jordan’s 63 in an OT game is greater. Frrrrrrrruuuuuck outta here!

I wanna say more, just like I did in that other post you’re referring to but pro B talk shuts down my comments so I have to keep it short before I type out an epic novel illustrating why I’m right just to find out all my time put in was wasted. I’ll be surprised if this even post. It’s kinda long. Plus that one wor d I used.

13. davidly - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM

First of all, all you guys stop arguing or they’ll be no more Internet.
    Secondly: Irrespective of the talent level of his team-mates, regardless of its relative nature vis a vis Jordan’s 63 or Wilt’s 100 — this is a marvelous feat. Why everybody gotta be rankin’ sh**?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches