Jan 22, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
The Raptors signing of Landry Fields was another swing-and-a-miss by the previous regime. The Raptors are paying him $6.5 million this season and next, while the jack-of-all-trades player has fallen out of the rotation, with Terrence Ross starting and just returned from injury veteran John Salmons taking up the bench minutes.
Which is why this news isn’t really that devastating to the team.
Fields will be out for three weeks after he “underwent a minor surgical procedure yesterday to address the ulnar nerve release on his right wrist,” the team announced Wednesday.
Injuries have been part Fields’ problem in Toronto — remember he had elbow surgery to help deal with pain from that same nerve.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $95,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Fields has played a total of nine minutes in the Raptors last five games combined, and he is 0-of-2 from the field in that stretch. On the season he has averaged 2.4 points and 2.2 assists a game in the 23 games he’s gotten into, averaging just less than 12 minutes a night in those contests.
He can start basketball activities again in three weeks but there will not be much of a rush for him to return to the lineup as long as everyone else stays healthy.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16