Jan 22, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
The Raptors signing of Landry Fields was another swing-and-a-miss by the previous regime. The Raptors are paying him $6.5 million this season and next, while the jack-of-all-trades player has fallen out of the rotation, with Terrence Ross starting and just returned from injury veteran John Salmons taking up the bench minutes.
Which is why this news isn’t really that devastating to the team.
Fields will be out for three weeks after he “underwent a minor surgical procedure yesterday to address the ulnar nerve release on his right wrist,” the team announced Wednesday.
Injuries have been part Fields’ problem in Toronto — remember he had elbow surgery to help deal with pain from that same nerve.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $95,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Fields has played a total of nine minutes in the Raptors last five games combined, and he is 0-of-2 from the field in that stretch. On the season he has averaged 2.4 points and 2.2 assists a game in the 23 games he’s gotten into, averaging just less than 12 minutes a night in those contests.
He can start basketball activities again in three weeks but there will not be much of a rush for him to return to the lineup as long as everyone else stays healthy.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36