Brandon Jennings finding running a team difficult after ‘shooting at will’ in Milwaukee

Jan 22, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT

Maurice Cheeks, Brandon Jennings AP

The Detroit Pistons, clearly in win-now mode, traded the younger Brandon Knight and passed on even-younger Trey Burke in the draft to make Brandon Jennings their starting point guard.

Jennings, in his fifth NBA season – and sixth pro season, as the Pistons repeatedly noted when they acquired him – should be more polished than Detroit’s potential alternatives.

But Jennings has looked extremely rough around the edges this season.

He’s making just 39 percent of his 2-pointers and 33 percent of his 3-pointers, and his turnovers per game and per minute are both career highs. What gives?

Jennings, via Vincent Goodwill of The Detroit News:

“I think I’m just thinking too much, trying to find guys instead of looking for my shot,” Jennings said. “So when I do, I’m out of rhythm because I’m not looking for it.”

“It’s been a little difficult, but it’s definitely going to take some time,” Jennings said. “I’m still gonna keep doing what I’m doing. This is a learning year for me, trying to be able to run a team. In Milwaukee I was just playing basketball and shooting at will. This year, I’m taking a step back.”

Maurice Cheeks is trying to turn Jennings into a pass-first point guard, but the results have been mixed.

Jennings is averaging a career-high 8.3 assists per game, and though increased passing has caused his turnover spike, his assist-to-turnover ratio is also a career best. The Pistons score 102.8 points per 100 possessions with him and 98.5 points per 100 possessions without him.

That’s all certainly encouraging.

Jennings’ shooting, on the other hand, has not.

His 39 percent on 2s and 33 percent on 3s are below his career averages, but neither are career lows. They’re both within his expected range.

What makes those efficiencies troubling is Jennings is shooting less frequently than ever. If he’s going to be more selective with his attempts, he should make a higher percentage of them – at least in theory. He clearly hasn’t gotten comfortable with that tradeoff in real time.

But Cheeks doesn’t see that as a legitimate excuse. Cheeks, via Goodwill:

“He just didn’t shoot the ball well. It’s not about thinking,” Cheeks said. “Part of the game is thinking. It’s a happy medium where you run offense or take shots. It’s not something new. You have shots, you take them. You make them or miss them.”

Cheeks made it clear he doesn’t subscribe to the theory of overthinking, but he wants Jennings to toe the line from aggression to recklessness.

“He’s got to be aggressive in the game,” Cheeks said. “You cannot be afraid to make a mistake. You’re gonna make mistakes. Play to his ability and his ability is good enough for him and good enough for us.”

The Pistons were spoiled with one of the greatest mid-career improvements by a point guard in NBA history when Chauncey Billups went from spot starter with the Timberwolves to NBA Finals MVP with Detroit under the tutelage of Larry Brown.

Jennings and Cheeks almost certainly won’t duplicate that. Jennings isn’t Billups, and Cheeks, though a former All-Star point guard, isn’t Brown.

But how close Jennings and Cheeks come and how quickly they get there will have a large impact on the second half of the Pistons’ season. The challenge is steep, though. Keith Langlois of Pistons.com:

Jennings has said he was never a guy who studied videotape before this season and now he and Cheeks spend many hours every week reviewing games.

At some point, those lessons might change how Jennings sees the floor. If it all works, Jennings will be a better player than he ever could have been as a shoot-first gunner. If the Pistons get that more complete player, they’ll be better off for it.

But in the meantime, they’re hurting themselves in the present as Jennings changes his style on the fly. At 17-24 and just outside playoff position, Detroit might not maintain that patience with Jennings’ development.

1. bougin89 - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I don’t believe their is another player in the NBA that makes more excuses for his poor play than Jennings.

• fm31970 - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Yeah, those of us in Milwaukee never saw this coming…

• bougin89 - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM

So happy he was traded.

2. 5xchamp24 - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

The Pistons, Cheeks, and Jennings, all should just come to the realization that he is what he is, a shoot first low percentage shooting point guard. Maybe good enough to start but cant really run a team and be effective.

3. timberwolvesbrisin - Jan 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Fire Dumars already. Shouldve taken Trey Burke and hired Lionel Hollins.

4. snoopy2014 - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM

…And the basketball world was shocked.

5. brianscalabrine - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Maybe he finds running a team difficult because he’s just not a very good point guard.

6. chilomane - Jan 22, 2014 at 4:51 PM

where are charlies’ eyebrows?

• bkbell3 - Jan 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM

he has a condition that starts with a P i think Propecia or something and a few years ago shaq mocked him about it and caused a little stir. I think it makes part or all your body hairless?

• fm31970 - Jan 23, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Alopecia areata

• bkbell3 - Jan 23, 2014 at 4:47 AM

thank you,i couldn’t remember it. Not quite sure why i got one down vote for answering the guy who asked where are his eye brows.lol

7. lenbias34pt - Jan 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I thought Monta Ellis was a big part of the problem in Milwaukee.
    Now it’s looking more and more than Brandon was/is the issue and from his comments thru out this season it’s clear he doesn’t agree with my assesment.

Good luck Mo.
    No team in professional sports is tougher to coach.

Maybe they’ll trade Greg O and pick up Denis Rodman?

8. DonKellyBaby - Jan 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Jennings hasn’t been horrible this year, but the Dumars completely botched this off-season for the Pistons. I was hoping they would draft Michael Carter-Williams, trade Brandon Knight the day of the draft to a playoff contending team for a 2014 1st round pick, avoid throwing too much money on a player like Josh Smith, and trade Stuckey during the season.

However, the Pistons did a sign and trade for Jennings, threw too much money at Josh Smith (a player no one else wanted), and drafted a talented but average SG in KCP.

9. 00maltliquor - Jan 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I’m not as down on Jennings as everyone else seems to be, but that comment made by him is probably the VERY LAST thing that you would want uttered out your PGs mouth! He doesn’t seem like a winner at all let alone a PG with comments like that.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches