Jan 21, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
We told you this trade was coming last Friday night, now it is official:
What the Bulls get is money — the little-used Shengalia can and will be let go after this season. Teague is owed $1.1 million next season then there are the team option years on his rookie deal after that. The Bulls had thrown in the towel on Teague — Derrick Rose is out for the year but reserve point guard Teague last got on the court for Chicago on Christmas Day (and that was for two minutes). Teague has gotten run in the D-league, that’s about it.
Brooklyn is a fresh start for Teague. He will play behind Deron Williams and if he plays well he will get minutes (allowing more Shaun Livingston next to D-Will), but the Nets are rolling right now and if Teague isn’t performing well he’ll just be sitting on a different bench.
The other part of that trade (a separate deal but tied with the Teague deal) the Nets sent Tyshawn Taylor to New Orleans for cash and the draft rights to Edin Bavcic (who likely never plays in the NBA).
This saves the Nets a little cash the second half of this season, but what it really does is free up a roster spot if the Nets want to use the disabled player exception they got through the Brook Lopez injury. The Nets may not go there but they can if they choose now.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24