Jan 21, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Rajon Rondo has returned from injury, but he’s the only star veteran remaining from a team that won a championship in 2008, and had many memorable playoff battles in the years that followed — including against the Miami Heat.
While there may no longer be a rivalry between the two teams based on the talent exodus in Boston, Rondo still has a distaste for playing against the defending champs.
Does Rajon Rondo think the Celtics-Heat rivalry is dead, as LeBron James said in November?
“That’s a tough question,” Rondo said. “It’s not a rivalry. But I still don’t like those guys.” …
“To go back and answer your question, I don’t really like anybody I play against,” Rondo said. “That’s just the type of attitude I approach the game with. We’re not friends on the court. Afterwards it’s a different story, but while we’re playing, I’m trying to win.”
It’s no secret Rondo plays with a chip on his shoulder, and that’s a good thing for his teammates.
Besides, the rivalry always seemed to be more of an individual one between James and Paul Pierce, as Pierce reminded us in the preseason the first time he faced LeBron as a member of the Brooklyn Nets.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29