Jan 21, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The cavalry — in the form of one of the better shooting power forwards in the game — will not be riding over the hill to save the Denver Nuggets this season.
Danillo Gallinari is out for the season.
Not that he has played so far this season, but his return was expected. Gallinari has been out since a knee injury last April and has been vague recently about his return to the NBA this season, he’s just been rehabbing in Italy. Now we know why he has been vague, thanks to a report from Adrian Wojnarowki of Yahoo Sports.
Shortly after suffering the knee injury in an April 4 game against the Dallas Mavericks, Gallinari had surgery to repair a torn meniscus but the ACL reconstruction was delayed. There had been a belief on the doctor’s part that the ACL could be strengthened to play again without the traditional procedure, but that never happened, sources said.
I’m not in a position to question medical experts on this, but I will say I don’t remember seeing a second knee surgery quite like this before.
Gallinari should be back early next season, according to the report.
Late last season, just as Denver was becoming a lot of people’s “you don’t want them in the first round” pick, Gallinari blew out his knee and had surgery that has kept him out since. He had averaged 16.3 points a game and his stretch four skills fit well in what George Karl wanted to do. Since that time, Denver’s front office and roster have been overhauled.
I guess next season we’ll see how Gallinari fits in what Brian Shaw wants to do.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31