Jan 21, 2014, 3:42 PM EST
The cavalry — in the form of one of the better shooting power forwards in the game — will not be riding over the hill to save the Denver Nuggets this season.
Danillo Gallinari is out for the season.
Not that he has played so far this season, but his return was expected. Gallinari has been out since a knee injury last April and has been vague recently about his return to the NBA this season, he’s just been rehabbing in Italy. Now we know why he has been vague, thanks to a report from Adrian Wojnarowki of Yahoo Sports.
Shortly after suffering the knee injury in an April 4 game against the Dallas Mavericks, Gallinari had surgery to repair a torn meniscus but the ACL reconstruction was delayed. There had been a belief on the doctor’s part that the ACL could be strengthened to play again without the traditional procedure, but that never happened, sources said.
I’m not in a position to question medical experts on this, but I will say I don’t remember seeing a second knee surgery quite like this before.
Gallinari should be back early next season, according to the report.
Late last season, just as Denver was becoming a lot of people’s “you don’t want them in the first round” pick, Gallinari blew out his knee and had surgery that has kept him out since. He had averaged 16.3 points a game and his stretch four skills fit well in what George Karl wanted to do. Since that time, Denver’s front office and roster have been overhauled.
I guess next season we’ll see how Gallinari fits in what Brian Shaw wants to do.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 5
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44