Kris Humphries says he wants to stay in Boston

Jan 21, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Boston Celtics Getty Images

In a few weeks, close to the trading deadline, Kris Humphries could be playing in another uniform in another city.

Humphries is upping his trade value with his play since becoming a starter in Boston, averaging 9.7 points and 9.1 rebounds a game plus doing all the dirty work inside he is known for. Actually, most people know him more for his now-over marriage to Kim Kardashian and his stint on reality television (how did she come out “the good wife” in this again?), but on the court he has long been a solid, grinding power forward that a lot of teams could use. That and his expiring $12 million contract make him trade bait.

But he likes what is being built in Boston and would like to stay there. That’s what he told the Boston Globe.

“I want to be a part of this whole, building this team and doing all that stuff with the new coach and all that, I want to be here,” he said. “You never know if they want you or they don’t want you or what their plans are, but I like Boston, my teammates. I’m just getting a chance to play with Rondo a little bit now.”

Rajon Rondo and Humphries had their moments on the court — last season when Humphries was in Brooklyn he committed a hard foul on Kevin Garnett and Rondo stepped in for his teammate.

But the NBA is a business and they both know that. Now Rondo and Humphries are good if you ask Humphries.

“Yeah, I’m not going to lie, I never liked him until I got here,” Humphries said. “And then it took me a minute to like him once I got here. He’s a competitor, even if he’s not scoring points, he’s getting assists, he can really rebound for a point guard, and defensively I was surprised what he was doing in the first quarter [Sunday].

“The more he plays, the more we’re going to grow as a team. Someone new comes back, he’s gotta figure out how to do the most he can in 20 minutes, it’s kind of tricky, and I think you can expect better from him and better from us as we keep going here.”

It is possible the Celtics do not find a new home for Humphries at the deadline, that is still a big contract to take on for a role player. They’ll shop him, we’ll see if there are any buyers.

Wherever he plays next season he is going to take a healthy pay cut. Safe to say he will land wherever the most money is offered, and after that where he feels comfortable.

That could be Boston. Stranger things have happened.

1. jcmeyer10 - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I like Hump too. I hope he stays as well, but in salary cap sports, it’s all about what he is getting paid.

• spursareold - Jan 21, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Exactly. The article calls him a role player, but he’s not going to want to be paid like one. He is ONLY on this contract because Brooklyn thought they could flip him for Dwight.

• doomshades - Jan 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM

If he really like to stay I’m sure he’d accept what the Celtics could offer; if the team continues to rebuild they can trade Humphries (with a cheaper contract) later on.

2. hdsnake867 - Jan 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I love Hump’s game. The Cs should keep him and pay him what he’s worth. And whatever the Cs try to do regarding getting another big, stay away from that useless slug Kendrick Perkins. By the end of the season Steven Adams will be the starting center in OKC and Perk will be out. Perk is a $9 mil/yr waste.

3. jcmeyer10 - Jan 21, 2014 at 2:12 PM

If Hump wan’ts to stick around for 3/15 I would take that in a heartbeat.

• therealhtj - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:13 PM

With today’s CBA, you’re being generous for a player of his caliber. Next lockout’s gonna be a wild one.

• jcmeyer10 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I don’t doubt that but he is still pretty good. I don’t think that’s a gross overpay for who he is and what he can do.

• therealhtj - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

No, that’s not a horrible deal for a near double double guy but it’ll be more determined by a teams circumstance. Any team in rebuild mode (roughly a third of the league or more) will have no real use for him at that price. Any contender could use someone like him at a reasonable price, but they’ll likely have no cap room.

He’s like a minimum salary to mini-mid level expectation now. Guys like Humphries and the rest of the union need to wake up and vote for a deal that protects their interests instead of those of the superstars and owners. They won’t, but they should.

• jcmeyer10 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM

OK, I see what you’re saying and you have a point. Just don’t want me Celts to get rid of everyone of value thinking they can be replaced.

Humps a vet who knows how to play the game and still has a few years left in him.

4. rdav29 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Kim also said he loved doing the dirty work inside

• jcmeyer10 - Jan 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

You think he also worked well around the rim?

• 00maltliquor - Jan 22, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Seriously in tears right now! LOL

• doomshades - Jan 21, 2014 at 9:00 PM

He plays hard, that’s for sure.

5. Kansachusetts - Jan 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I love Humphries now. He always plays hard. He runs hard. He’s smart. He’s a team player. Hope they keep him.

Handing out NBA's postseason awards