Jan 20, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
If the other team is taking the ball out of bounds and has less than a second to get off a shot at the end of the shot clock — or, let’s say, at the end of the game — the one thing you don’t want to give up is a pass to a guy cutting to the rim. Make them shoot a tough jumper. Every once in a while someone goes Derek Fisher with 0.4 seconds left, but in general that’s a low percentage shot.
The Lakers gave up a high percentage one with 0.9 seconds left in a tied overtime game with the Bulls.
Chicago lined four guys up at the free throw line and basically ran all of them at various angles down to the baseline, occupying a man — just acquired Manny Harris was in for the Lakers and started that play on the high side of that line of Bulls (expecting someone to pop out high, I guess) and when Taj Gibson went to the hole Harris was sealed on the wrong side. Pau Gasol tried to help but Gibson hit the shot and the Bulls get a nice win at home.
Gibson finished with 12 points, D.J. Augustin came off the bench and had 27 to lead the Bulls.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 20
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9