Jan 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Paul George reportedly said he he doesn’t want to participate in the dunk contest, but he’s at least leaving the door open, if just a crack.
When asked whether he had declined the offers, George said, “No, I haven’t declined. I’m keeping my options open.”
“It would all depend on who’s in it,” he stated. “I want to be in it when the competition is good.”
In all likelihood, this is George’s way of declining while shifting the blame onto someone else.
The dunk contest doesn’t draw top top stars anymore, and I doubt the type of names George is seeking even consider participating.
It’s been five years since an All-Star starter – which George will certainly be – has participated in the dunk contest. Most recently, Dwight Howard did it in 2009.
It’s even been a while since a veteran All-Star participated in the dunk contest, even someone whose star power doesn’t warrant a starting spot. Blake Griffin did it as a rookie in 2011, and Gerald Wallace came off the bench in the 2010 All-Star game after participating in the dunk contest the night before.
It’d be awesome if George participates in the dunk contest, because that would mean a stacked field. But that all-or-nothing scenario almost certainly means fans will miss out on dunks like this:
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0