Jan 20, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
This is a move that will be met with applause — if not shouts of “finally” — by Knicks fans.
Prigioni will make his return from a broken toe in the Knicks’ big showdown against the Nets in a MLK Day Matinee at the Garden at 2:30 p.m. Prigioni has missed the last 16 games after breaking his toe on Dec. 16.
Woodson liked how the Prigioni-Felton starting tandem looked down the stretch last season, and that would give him a chance to move Carmelo Anthony from small forward to power forward, where he played much of last season. Andrea Bargnani, who has been fairly inconsistent, would go back to the bench….
“I don’t know who’s going to start,’’ Woodson added. “We’ve had some success last year with playing (Pablo) and Raymond both and Melo back at the 4. I’m not opposed to going back small based on what other teams do. Unfortunately we’ve been playing teams with big 4s, and Bargnani is our big four.’’
First off coach, stop matching up with what other teams are doing — put out your best lineup and force them to matchup with you. I mean, when you played Charlotte last week you started Bargnani because of your great fear of Josh McRoberts at the four?
Next coach, I’m sure someone on the team has pointed out that when you have played Anthony, Bargnani and Tyson Chandler together this season (173 minutes) you are -7.2 points per 48 minutes. When those three are on the court together, the Knicks have a defensive rating of 113.8 points allowed per 100 possessions — 8.1 worse than your season average and 6.3 worse than the Utah Jazz’s league worst points allowed per possessions numbers. (Stats via NBA.com.)
Just to be completely clear, going big with Bargnani starting doesn’t work.
Not sure that starting Prigioni is the answer, but it’s a better option than what Woodson continues to insist to do.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 14
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 55
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73