Jan 20, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
This is a move that will be met with applause — if not shouts of “finally” — by Knicks fans.
Prigioni will make his return from a broken toe in the Knicks’ big showdown against the Nets in a MLK Day Matinee at the Garden at 2:30 p.m. Prigioni has missed the last 16 games after breaking his toe on Dec. 16.
Woodson liked how the Prigioni-Felton starting tandem looked down the stretch last season, and that would give him a chance to move Carmelo Anthony from small forward to power forward, where he played much of last season. Andrea Bargnani, who has been fairly inconsistent, would go back to the bench….
“I don’t know who’s going to start,’’ Woodson added. “We’ve had some success last year with playing (Pablo) and Raymond both and Melo back at the 4. I’m not opposed to going back small based on what other teams do. Unfortunately we’ve been playing teams with big 4s, and Bargnani is our big four.’’
First off coach, stop matching up with what other teams are doing — put out your best lineup and force them to matchup with you. I mean, when you played Charlotte last week you started Bargnani because of your great fear of Josh McRoberts at the four?
Next coach, I’m sure someone on the team has pointed out that when you have played Anthony, Bargnani and Tyson Chandler together this season (173 minutes) you are -7.2 points per 48 minutes. When those three are on the court together, the Knicks have a defensive rating of 113.8 points allowed per 100 possessions — 8.1 worse than your season average and 6.3 worse than the Utah Jazz’s league worst points allowed per possessions numbers. (Stats via NBA.com.)
Just to be completely clear, going big with Bargnani starting doesn’t work.
Not sure that starting Prigioni is the answer, but it’s a better option than what Woodson continues to insist to do.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 12
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 65
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65