Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Shane Battier doesn’t have a well-established nickname, though I guess “Batman” comes closest. So, when Battier learned the Miami Heat would wear nickname jerseys a few times this season, he was stuck. Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press:
Miami forward Shane Battier – who wasn’t exactly thrilled about the nickname idea – said he wanted to wear ”Batman” on his jersey, though was told that Warner Brothers holds the rights to that name, and other players have also had to deal with copyright-related issues with their suggested monikers. Battier said he’ll go with ”Shaneo” instead.
Thankfully, instead of pushing “Shaneo” into our lexicon, Battier found a better idea, wearing “Battle” on the back of his jersey. Phil Latzman of 90.9 wbur Boston:
“I’m using this opportunity for the nickname jersey to pay a tribute to a great lady, who passed away and touched a lot of people,” Heat forward Shane Battier said. “It’s my way of saying, ‘I love you grandma.’”
Battier’s grandmother Mary Battle died last year.
“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing, to pay homage to my family, and to see them fired up and care so much about something that is trivial to most of the guys,” Battier said. “It’s kind of cool.”
A few years ago, Battier explained why his paternal grandmother had a slightly different last name than he did. Bad hand-writing.
I don’t think “Battle” will stick as Battier’s nickname. He’s a tough player, but his style isn’t quite physical enough to match the traditional meaning of the word.
But for a few times this season, it’s a perfect name to go on the back of his jersey.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 2
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 13
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70